Imbrie's singles win proves decisive in Juniata's 5-4 win over Goucher
(Posted April 17, 2010)
TOWSON, Md. -- Juniata College junior Ross Imbrie's (Warwick, N.Y./Warwick Valley) straight set win at no. 5 singles clinched the Eagles' first Landmark Conference men's tennis win of the season, with a 5-4 victory over Goucher College on Saturday afternoon in Towson, Md.
Imbrie's victory didn't come without a little drama. After posting a 6-2 win in the first set of his match against Daniel Csete, Imbrie required a tiebreaker set before completing a 7-6 (7-5) victory in set two.
Juniata fell behind 2-1 after doubles play, with the Eagle tandem of Brice Morey (Enola, Pa./East Pennsboro) and Tucker Good (Gettysburg, Pa./Gettysburg) taking the lone doubles win with an 8-0 victory at no. 3 doubles over Csete and Brett Blackman.
The Eagles rebounded to capture the lower four matches in singles play, led by Scott Andrews' (Hollidaysburg, Pa./Altoona Area) 6-1, 6-0, dismantling of Goucher's Dave Hemelt at no. 6 singles.
Morey took his no. 3 singles match 7-6 (7-4), 6-2, over Goucher's Billie Weiss, while Good posted a 3-6, 6-3, 6-4 victory over Charlie Leonard at no 4. singles.
Juniata returns to the court on Thursday, April 22, when it hosts Susquehanna University in a Landmark Conference match.
Juniata 5, Goucher 4
1. Steve Baum (GOU) def. Jarrad Silver (JUN) 6-3, 7-5
2. Michael Brooks (GOU) def. Arnab Chakrabarti (JUN) 6-2, 4-6, 6-4
3. Brice Morey (JUN) def. Billie Weiss (GOU) 7-6 (7-4), 6-2
4. Tucker Good (JUN) def. Charlie Leonard (GOU) 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
5. Ross Imbrie (JUN) def. Daniel Csete (GOU) 6-2, 7-6 (7-5)
6. Scott Andrews (JUN) def. Dave Hemelt (GOU) 6-1, 6-0
1. Michael Brooks/Billie Weiss (GOU) def. Jarrad Silver/Arnab Chakrabarti (JUNM) 8-6
2. Charlie Leonard/Steve Baum (GOU) def. Ross Imbrie/Scott Andrews (JUNM) 8-3
3. Brice Morey/Tucker Good (JUN) def. Daniel Csete/Brett Blackman (GOU) 8-0
Juniata College - 6-10, 1-3 Landmark
Goucher - 3-11, 1-3 Landmark
Our readers respond...
Contact Gabe Welsch at email@example.com or (814) 641-3131 for more information.