Men's and women's tennis upended at Drew University
(Posted April 2, 2011)
MADISON, N.J. -- The Juniata College men's and women's tennis teams resumed Landmark Conference on Saturday at Drew University, with both teams falling to the host Rangers at the Drew Tennis Center.
The men's team fell 9-0 to Drew, while the Juniata women lost 6-3.
In the women's match, Juniata (5-7, 0-2 Landmark) won three out of the six singles matches, but that was not enough to overcome Drew's 3-0 lead coming out of doubles play.
Laura Gregory (Morrisonville, N.Y./Seton Catholic Central) posted a win at no. 4 singles in gritty fashion, rebounding from a 7-5 deficit in the supertiebreak set to complete a 7-5, 3-6, 10-7 victory over Drew's Erica Frederickson.
Stacie Beegle (Schellsburg, Pa./Chestnut Ridge) had solid command of her no. 2 singles match against the Rangers' Sofia Madrigal, before Madrigal retired in the first set due to injury with the score tied 5-5. Hilary Walsh (Waynesboro, Pa./Waynesboro Area) turned in a convincing performance at no. 5 singles, posting a 6-0, 6-1 win over Lalita Nekkanti.
On the men's side, Juniata (4-6, 0-2 Landmark) struggled against the defending Landmark Conference champion Rangers. Brice Morey (Enola, Pa./East Pennsboro) had the most success against Drew, winning three games against the Rangers' Adam Gerber in Gerber's 6-2, 6-1 win at no. 4 singles.
Juniata takes to the home courts on Sunday, April 3, as both the men's and women's teams host the University of Scranton on the Raffensperger Tennis Courts starting at noon.
Drew University 9, Juniata College 0
1. Raul Smego (DREW) def. Justin Wisniewski (JUN) 6-0, 6-0
2. Matt Brisotti (DREW) def. Elliott Perow (JUN) 6-1, 6-0
3. Adam Gerber (DREW) def. Brice Morey (JUN) 6-2, 6-1
4. Elliot Smego (DREW) def. Arnab Chakrabarti (JUN) 6-0, 6-1
5. Matt Imbo (DREW) def. Scott Andrews (JUN) 6-1, 6-0
6. Jon Pransky (DREW) def. Matt Butler (JUN) 6-1, 6-0
1. Elliot Smego/Raul Smego (DREW) def. Justin Wisniewski/Arnab Chakrabarti (JUN) 8-1
2. Matt Brisotti/Djedjy Hill (DREW) def. Brice Morey/Elliott Perow (JUN) 8-1
3. Adam Gerber/Matt Imbo (DREW) def. Scott Andrews/Matt Butler (JUN) 8-0
Drew University 6, Juniata College 3
1. Sarit Ashkenazi (DREW) def. Megan Phillips (JUN) 6-0, 6-2
2. Stacie Beegle (JUN) def. Sofia Madrigal (DREW) 5-5, retired
3. Chelsea Lipp (DREW) def. Lauren Perow (JUN) 6-2, 6-1
4. Laura Gregory (JUN) def. Erica Fredrickson (DREW) 7-5, 3-6, 10-7
5. Hilary Walsh (JUN) def. Lalita Nekkanti (DREW) 6-0, 6-1
6. No player (DREW) def. Rachel Adams (JUN), by default
1. Sofia Madrigal/Chelsea Lipp (DREW) def. Megan Phillips/Stacie Beegle (JUN) 8-4
2. Sarit Ashkenazi/Christiane Toma (DREW) def. Lauren Perow/Hilary Walsh (JUN) 8-1
3. Yiyi Rodriguez/Cristine Conde (DREW) def. Laura Gregory/Rachel Adams (JUN), by default
Our readers respond...
Contact Gabe Welsch at email@example.com or (814) 641-3131 for more information.