Women's tennis upends Lycoming while men's tennis drops match
(Posted October 6, 2011)
HUNTINGDON, Pa. -- Juniata College women's tennis earned a 7-2 victory while the men dropped a 6-3 decision against Lycoming College at the conclusion of their fall schedule at home Thursday.
In women's doubles, the only women's tennis returners, sophomore Megan Phillips (Jefferson hills, Pa./Thomas Jefferson) and senior Hilary Walsh (Waynesboro, Pa./Waynesboro Area) found themselves behind in the match but battled back to a 9-8 victory with a 7-2 tiebreaker.
Freshman Heather Waring (San Antonio, Texas/John Jay) handily defeated her Lebanon Valley opponent 6-3, 6-1 at No. 2 singles, while Walsh only allowed her foe three games in a 6-3, 6-0 win at No. 5 singles. Phillips fought hard for her No. 4 singles triumph by clinching a 10-5 super-tiebreak.
In the men's match, Justin Wisniewski (Moorestown, N.J./Moorestown) brought home a win at No. 3 singles when he defeated his opponent 6-3, 6-2.
Elliott Perow (Huntingdon, Pa./Huntingdon Area) and Matthew Butler (Quakertown, Pa./Salisbury School) fought for a 9-8 win with a 7-2 tiebreaker at No. 2 doubles. Sam Brumbaugh (Perkasie, Pa./Pennridge) and Clarence Yeung (Hong Kong, China/St. Joseph College) also clinched a Juniata victory when they defeated their No. 3 doubles foes 8-6.
The men finished the season with a 1-4 overall record, while the women enter the spring with a 4-1 overall record.
Both the men's and women's teams will resume play in the March when they make their annual trip to Hilton Head, S.C.
Juniata College 3, Lycoming College 6
1. Jason Mifsud (LYCO) def. Daisuke Miyakoshi (JUN) 6-1, 7-6 (7-5)
2. David Brown (LYCO) def. Elliott Perow (JUN) 7-6 (7-4), 4-6, 7-5
3. Justin Wisniewski (JUN) def. Cody Heffner (LYCO) 6-3, 6-2
4. Sean Marshall (LYCO) def. Matthew Butler (JUN) 6-1, 0-6, 6-2
5. Chris Connolly (LYCO) def. Sam Brumbaugh (JUN) 6-3, 6-1
6. Jack Port (LYCO) def. Kyle Salage (JUN) 6-2, 6-2
1. Jason Mifsud/David Brown (LYCO) def. Daisuke Miyakoshi/Justin Wisniewski (JUN) 8-6
2. Elliott Perow/Matthew Butler (JUN) def. Sean Marshall/Cody Heffner (LYCO) 9-8 (7-2)
3. Sam Brumbaugh/Clarence Yeung (JUN) def. Jack Port/Chris Connolly (LYCO) 8-6
Juniata College 7, Lycoming College 2
1. Megan Gardner (LYCO) def. Stephanie Steinhauer (JUN) 6-3, 6-4
2. Heather Waring (JUN) def. Emily Zangara (LYCO) 6-3, 6-1
3. Cara Stough (JUN) def. Dani Nazaruk (LYCO) 6-3, 7-5
4. Megan Phillips (JUN) def. Shannon Sheridan (LYCO) 4-6, 7-5, 10-5
5. Hilary Walsh (JUN) def. Abbey Smith (LYCO) 6-3, 6-0
6. Ellen Phillips (LYCO) def. Alex Willis (JUN) 8-4
1. Stephanie Steinhauer/Heather Waring (JUN) def. Megan Gardner/Dani Nazaruk (LYCO) 8-3
2. Megan Phillips/Hilary Walsh (JUN) def. Emily Zangara/Shannon Sheridan (LYCO) 9-8 (7-2)
3. Cara Stough/Charlotte Caddick (JUN) def. Ellen Phillips/Abbey Smith (LYCO) 8-5
Our readers respond...
Contact Gabe Welsch at email@example.com or (814) 641-3131 for more information.