Scranton edges Juniata women's tennis in hotly contested match
(Posted April 5, 2010)
SCRANTON, Pa. -- You could say it came down to the final match on the court. It would be equally accurate to say it was decided by one of the three singles matches that were decided in three sets.
But either way, the result was the same as the University of Scranton squeaked past visiting Juniata College, 5-4, in a Landmark Conference women's tennis match on Monday in Scranton, Pa.
Juniata opened with wins in two of the three doubles matches. Katie Healy (Pittsburgh, Pa./Mt. Lebanon) and Maggie Wolenter (Audubon, N.J./Audubon) posted an 8-6 win at no. 1 doubles, while teammates Stacie Beegle (Schellsburg, Pa./Chestnut Ridge) and Lauren Perow (Huntingdon, Pa./Huntingdon Area) won at no. 2 doubles by an identical 8-6 score.
Of the four, however, Healy and Perow were the only ones who went on to gain wins in singles play.
Healy logged a straight set, 6-3, 6-1 win at no. 1 singles over the Royals' Deirdre Wylie, while Perow captured a three-set match over Kirsten Wentworth at no. 4 singles, 2-6, 6-4, 6-3.
Wolenter and Beegle both took their opponents into a third set before falling. Wolenter dropped a 7-5, 3-6, 6-3 decision to Scranton's Danielle Wylie, while Beegle was deposed 4-6, 6-2, 6-4 at no. 3 singles by Elisha Connell.
The final match on the court was no. 6 singles, which went in Scranton's favor with Kelly Costello's 6-1, 6-0 win over Rachel Adams (McLean, Va./Jakarta Int'l School).
Juniata returns to the court on Wednesday, April 8, when it travels to Indiana, Pa., to take on Indiana University of Pennsylvania.
Scranton 5, Juniata 4
1. Katie Healy (JUN) def. Deirdre Wylie (SCR) 6-3, 6-1
2. Danielle Wylie (SCR) def. Maggie Wolenter (JUN) 7-5, 3-6, 6-3
3. Elisha Connell (SCR) def. Stacie Beegle (JUN) 4-6, 6-2, 6-4
4. Lauren Perow (JUN) def. Kirsten Wentworth (SCR) 2-6, 6-4, 6-3
5. Moira McGinn (SCR) def. Hilary Walsh (JUN) 6-1, 6-2
6. Kelly Costello (SCR) def. Rachel Adams (JUN) 6-1, 6-0
1. Katie Healy/Maggie Wolenter (JUN) def. Danielle Wylie/Deirdre Wylie (SCR) 8-6
2. Stacie Beegle/Lauren Perow (JUN) def. Kelly Costello/Moira McGinn (SCR) 8-6
3. Caitlin Ehly/Lindsay Ward (SCR) def. Rachel Adams/Hilary Walsh (JUN) 8-4
Juniata College 6-6/0-2 Landmark
Scranton 5-4/1-1 Landmark
Our readers respond...
Contact John Wall at email@example.com or (814) 641-3132 for more information.