Study abroad provides a valuable perspective of global Biology, and field opportunities that may not be available at Juniata. Junior or Senior years are the best time, but remember that professional school interviews are usually scheduled during the senior year. Pre-professional students in the health professions should plan on junior year for their program. The Biology POE offers the flexibility needed for Biology students to study abroad. The Biology Seminar series BI189 and BI289, required of all Biology POEs, are typically taken in the freshman and sophomore years, so they rarely interfere with study abroad. All Biology POE students take BI189W: Freshman Seminar in the spring semester of the freshman year, fulfilling the requirement of a writing course in the POE. Many courses offered aborad fulfill upper level course requirements in the Biology POE. Work closely with your advisor and consult the department chair as needed when planning your study abroad experience.
- Enroll in a foreign language, especially French, German or Spanish
- Participate in a summer study abroad program
- Continue with your foreign language
- Study abroad, especially at Leeds UK, Lille France, Marburg Germany, Newcastle Australia, Ulster Northern Ireland, Quito Ecuador, and Galapagos. These programs offer students courses in the Biology POE.
- Incorporate your studies abroad into your courses at home