Juniata College NSF S-STEM Scholarship
The National Science Foundation (NSF) has awarded Juniata College a "Scholarships in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math" (S-STEM) grant to provide community/two year college transfer students with scholarships of up to $10,000 per year for the two years needed to complete a B. S. degree.
The NSF S-STEM Scholarship is awarded in addition to Juniata College’s normal generous financial aid package. This combination makes obtaining a B.S degree from a leading selective Liberal Arts college affordable for transfer students by providing an additional scholarship to help meet a students financial need. This is a very appealing program for a student who has gone to a junior college, gained a two-year degree and discovered their interest in pursuing a graduate degree.
The application process is competitive and directed at academically strong students with demonstrated financial need* who are considering careers in Biology, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Earth and Environmental Sciences, Geoscience, Physics or Pre-Engineering. (Details of the programs offered by Juniata College in these areas and faculty research interests can be found by clicking on the discipline name).
Juniata College is recognized as a leader in the preparation of successful scientists. Juniata ranked in the top 10% of 512 selective primarily undergraduate institutions in the numbers of graduates going on to complete doctoral degrees in the fields of Biology, Chemistry, Earth and Environmental Science and Physics (National Research Council, 2001). Five of Juniata’s science alumni are currently members of the National Academy of Sciences, one has received a Nobel Prize in Physics and many hold leadership positions in academic, public and private sectors. Our students win national recognition, honors and awards.
Because of its size, dedication to undergraduate education and special programs in support of STEM transfer Scholars, S-STEM Scholarship students will receive the focused attention of highly qualified and experienced educators in a program designed to prepare them for careers in a STEM discipline.
Key Program Features
- Up to $10K Scholarship in addition to the normal financial aid package for two years depending on financial need.
- Transfer with Junior standing.
- Paid 10 week Summer Research experience on a project with a Juniata Faculty member following completion of junior year at Juniata.
- Make a presentation on your research at the Juniata College Annual Liberal Arts Symposium and at professional society meetings.
- Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
- Apply for admission to Juniata College. A complete application for admission includes the Common Application, Juniata Supplement Form, High School transcript, college transcripts, standardized test scores (if taken), and essay.
- Complete and return an S-STEM Scholarship Application Application.Doc Application.Pdf
- Submit two S-STEM reference forms from faculty at your current college. RecForm.Doc RecForm.Pdf
- Submit a brief personal statement explaining your background and interest in obtaining an S-STEM scholarship from Juniata.
- Submit your FAFSA application at www.fafsa.gov. Be sure to include Juniata’s code number (003279).
- All materials should be submitted by July 1, 2012 to Brett Basom, Enrollment Center, Juniata College, 1700 Moore Street, Huntingdon, PA 16652. Winners will be selected and announced by the end of July, 2012.
Jeff Demarest, Ph.D.
S-STEM Principal Investigator and Professor of Biology
Director of Student Financial Planning
*The level of the award is determined by an evaluation of the student’s application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) www.fafsa.gov .