English study at Juniata includes a variety of courses designed to give you experience in reading, writing, and thinking.
- A foundational course exploring the different literary genres
- Wide-ranging courses in English, American, and World Literatures
- Courses in linguistics, which explore the history and structure of our language
- Creative and professional writing courses
- Advanced courses which explore literary genres in depth
- Special Topics courses, offering new subjects every year
- Independent studies of your own devising, with one-on-one instruction
- A capstone course in literary criticism
The English curriculum is flexible, encouraging you to combine English with other topics in an individualized Program of Emphasis. Unlike more rigid programs, there is no need to decide on a structured sequence in your first semester at the college. You can take your time to find the program you need.