Publications by James Tuten
- Lowcountry Time and Tide: The Collapse of The Rice Kingdom, University of South Carolina Press, 2010.
- “Hilton Head Island” in American Tourism: Constructing a National Tradition, eds. Nicholas Bloom and J. Mark Souther, American Places Press, 2012.
- “A Remarkable Case: A Surgeon’s Letter to the Huntingdon Globe” Pennsylvania Magazine of History and Biography, pp. 558-560, Vol. 135 (4), October 2011.
- “’Don’t Want to see no more… like that:’ Climate Change as a Factor in the Collapse of Lowcountry Rice Culture, 1893-1920,” in Historical Climate Variability and Impacts in North America, eds. Lesley-Ann Dupigny-Giroux and Cary Mock, Springer, 2009.
- “Liquid Assets: Madeira Wine and Cultural Capital among the Lowcountry Planters, 1735-1900” American Nineteenth Century History pp. 173-188,Vol 6 (2) June 2005.
“Regulating the Poor in Alabama: The Jefferson County Poor Farm, 1885-1945,” in Before the New Deal: Social Welfare in the South, 1830-1930, ed. Elna C. Green, University of Georgia Press, 1999, 40-60.
- Editorial: “In Defense of Fantasy Football.” Providence Journal, Providence RI, September 4, 2005.
- Editorial: “Leadership Not Beauty Pageant.” Altoona Mirror, Altoona PA, July 18, 2004, A8.
- Editorial: “Strom Thurmond’s Long Racist Legacy.” Providence Journal, Providence R.I., July 16, 2003.
- Encyclopedia entries contributed to: Encyclopedia of African American History, 2006; Encyclopedia of South Carolina, 2006; Encyclopedia of Gilded Age and Progressive Era, 2005; Dictionary of American History, 2002; Dictionary of American National Biography, Oxford University Press, 1999.
- Founder and editor of H-SC, the Humanities Net list-serve for South Carolina.