Greener Pastures (Franklin Hockenbrockt)
Relevant POEs include Environmental Science, Environmental Studies, Wildlife Conservation, Marine Science, Environmental Engineering, Biology, Environmental Economics.
- Academic Courses: FALL SEMESTER ONLY: Culture, Class, and Gender; Art as Sustainable Development; Sustainable Resource Management; Heart of India - Historical and Cultural Perspectives; Islands and Reefs.
SPRING SEMESTER ONLY: Field Methods in Marine Sciences; Islands and Reefs; Uplands and Estuaries; Introduction to Geographical Information Systems. Optional courses: Art as Sustainable Development; Culture, Class, and Gender.
- Excursions to various locations in India such as the Andaman Islands, Chennai, Goa, and Delhi are also part of the curriculum.
- Calendar: Fall semester is late July - mid November. Spring semester is late December - mid April.
- Housing: Student housing at FERAL - thatched cabins with adjacent bathroom and shower facilities.
- Regional Information: Pondicherry is a former French colony on the east coast of India. This results in an interesting mix of French and Indian culture. Teeming with historical and religious sites, beaches, and a warm climate, Pondicherry is growing at a rapid pace and is a popular tourist destination.
- Student Notes: "Studying in a developing country showed me so much. I was face to face with people who couldn't worry about saving the environment because they were worried about feeding their family. My whole experience in India was surrounded by things that constantly made me question my ideas and force me to analyze things in new ways, consider other people's views and take into account that the way people live is completely different." - Nicole Cappuccio, Spring 2008
- Scholarships: Philbrook Smith Scholarship for History POEs; Rinehart-Dartkatsch Scholarship for Education POEs; Benjamin Gilman Scholarship for students with Pell Grants; Boren Scholarship
- Grants: Dr. Chumpol Phornprapa Experiential Learning Travel Grant