Exchange program with Universidad Pablo de Olavide
April in Sevilla (Kelsey Thrush)
- Academic Courses Most Juniata students enroll in language and culture classes for foreign students in the Hispanic Studies Program (Estudios Hispánicos). Students with a high-level of Spanish may take regular university classes with Spanish students. These are listed under the link Programa de Integracion Universitaria. For a listing by departments, click here. Juniata students will be considered 1st cycle (Primer Ciclo) students and can consult the list of courses by following the links for Plan de Estudios. The on-site staff we also help students select appropriate university classes.
- GPA Requirement: Universidad Pablo de Olavide requires all students to have at least a 2.9 GPA. GPAs lower than 2.9 will be considered but may require additional support.
- Calendar: Fall semester is early September through mid-December. Spring semester is late January through mid-May.
- Housing: Students will be placed in Spanish homestays either in Sevilla or in the town/suburb close to the University, Montequinto. Students have a choice of which location but placement is dependent on availability.
- Regional Information
- Student Notes: beautiful area, good immersion experience, good support system
- Scholarships: Philbrook Smith Scholarship for History POEs; Rinehart-Darkatsch Scholarship for Education POEs; Bliss-Karns-Schwemmlein Scholarship for study abroad in Spain for a year; Benjamin Gilman Scholarship for students with Pell Grants
- Grants: Dr. Chumpol Phornprapa Experiential Learning Travel Grant
- Relevant POEs: Students with a POE or secondary emphasis in Spanish would be ideal here but with some variety of courses open to students, other POEs would excel including Art, Business, Anthropology, History, International Studies, Literature, Sociology, Psychology, and Political Science. A couple biology and chemistry classes are offered. Classes are taught in Spanish and/or English.