Friendship Family Program
What is the Program About?
Far from home in a strange and different country, the students studying abroad often need the kind of friendly and supportive anchor that a family can provide. The Friendship Family Program is a good chance for both students and families to get to know cultures different from their own by interacting with one another while the student is at College. Students do not live with the families, but instead visit for dinner, special events, or just an evening watching TV.
Annual Program Events
An American cultural tradition when families bring food and enjoy dinner together with students.
- Celebrate tradition American holidays such as Thanksgiving and Halloween
- Go shopping together
- Join local events like baseball games
- Watch television at home and have a relax time
- To invite the student to dinner or other outings such as shopping, sports, family activities, or seasonal activities
- To provide a familial atmosphere that is friendly and supportive to the student
- To become aware of the student's plan for holidays and breaks
- To become a member of the family, not a guest
- To honor commitments made to the family and be willing to share you time with them
- To share your own culture
The Center for International Education, Juniata College
Coordinator, Friendship Family Program
Work: (814) 641-3180