About Language in Motion
Language in Motion is an innovative, cooperative, outreach program using study-abroad returnees, international students, and upper-level language students to aid local K-12 teachers by creating and presenting language and cultural activities in their classrooms.
- Establish and maintain vigorous K-16 partnerships.
- Enrich teachers’ and students’ knowledge of language and culture.
- Provide all participants with opportunities for additional language practice and for looking at culture from different perspectives.
- Increase interest in studying languages and cultures, both at home and abroad.
- Provide young people as role models of a college education and study abroad.
- Increase visibility for the college.
There are three basic components:
Sharing the world with K-12 students
International students, upper-level language students, and study-abroad returnees regularly present in high school, middle school, and elementary classrooms to enrich language and cultural learning and to share their understanding of the country and culture. The teacher and presenter agree early in the semester on the level and amount of language to be used. In language classes and classes ranging from Social Studies and English to Biology, Art, Music, and Physical Education, students have presented programs on such languages as Arabic, Cantonese & Mandarin Chinese, Dari, Australian & British English, French, German, Greek, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, and Urdu.
Providing professional development opportunities for teachers
Professional development opportunities made possible by generous donations from Lititz Mutual Insurance, Northwest Savings Bank, and PNC Bank help teachers update skills, knowledge, and enthusiasm. Previously supported by The Arthur Vining Davis Foundations.
- Meet the semester’s presenters
- Summer Language and Culture Teaching Institute
- Teachers Abroad: Immersion language and culture experiences in French, German, Russian, and Spanish
- Professional Conference Scholarships
- Visiting Scholar Workshops
Developing networks across the country
Current partners include:
- Juniata College (Founder)
- Bryn Mawr College
- Dartmouth College
- Drew University
- Iowa State University
- Lebanon Valley College
- Loras College
- Middlebury College
- University of Puget Sound
- Vassar College
- Westminster College
- Willamette University
Language in Motion actively seeks other institutions of higher education to establish their own local Language in Motion and serve as regional hubs. Contact the Director.