Applied Music Studios
Note: Courses are subject to change. Some courses may require students to supply their own instruments. Click here for the applied music course catalog, with specific course information (prerequisites, etc).
Private study at Juniata helps the student to improve sound quality, intellectual understanding, technique, expression and creativity on their instrument. Through lessons and individual practice students may develop a deeper understanding of music. Opportunities to perform in student recitals exist each semester, including (by recommendation of faculty) the end-of semester Honors Recital on the Rosenberger stage. No previous experience necessary.
Currently, Juniata does not have an organ on campus and we do not offer organ studio.
- Piano Studio - Cathy Scafidi
- Voice Studio - Jan Mianulli
- Guitar Studio - Stan Mullen
- Jazz Improvisation Studio - M. Dan Yoder
- Flute Studio - Diane Gold Toulson
- Clarinet Studio - Janet Berlin
- Saxophone Studio - Jennifer Shuty
- Double Reed Studio - Jody Butte
- Horn Studio - Rebekah O'Brien
- Brass Studio - Herb McKinstry
- Percussion Studio - Craig Sayer, James Latten
- Violin/Viola Studio - Nora Gump
- Cello Studio - Evelyn Bookhammer
- Organ - Not Offered
Note: Three credit hours of any MU course/studio on the same instrument, voice or ensemble fulfills a Distribution requirement. An additional three hours on the same instrument or voice used in the initial Distribution requirement fulfill a complete Distribution requirement. Regular practice outside of class is required. 100-level courses develop basic skills (reading musical notation, elementary theory, and handling of the instrument.) At the 200 through 400 levels, these fundamentals expand into the realm of musical expressiveness and interpretation. Students accomplish this by studying pieces of ever-increasing difficulty and complexity. Private lessons and applied music classes are available to all students. One-half hour lesson per week earn one credit and carry a $350.00 fee. Two half-hour lessons per week earn two credits and carry a $700.00 fee. (Guitar and Voice classes carry no fee.)