Research and Internships
Ask Us About These Current Juniata Internship Opportunities
- BCA Derry, N. Ireland for volunteer and service learning opportunities.
- Center for Victims of Violence and Crime (Pittsburgh, PA) for mediation and intake training.
- Conflict Resolution Center (Roanoke, VA) for mediation training.
- EPA London/Edinburgh/Brussels for opportunities in human rights, politics and peacework EPA London, EPA Edinburgh, EPA Brussels
- Rajagiri College of Social Work (Kerala, India). Scroll down to the Community Reach Outs for a wide variety of internship opportunities here.
- Internship in Quetzaltenango (Shela) - Teaching or administrative support in fundraising at the Miguel Angel Asturias Academy. Open to science, social science or English language teachers at the elementary or secondary level. Intermediate proficiency in Spanish required. For more information, www.asturiasacademy.org
- Human Rights First offers internships in Human Rights and Security and Refugee Rights in both Washington, DC and New York City.
Recent Research Topics
- Sebastian T. Brown ’09, “Blaming the Poor: American Social Welfare Policy Since the New Deal”
Danielle Fulmer ’11, “Civil War Peace Accords: The Role of Social Identity”
Juliet Garlow ’11, “An Analysis of US Maternal Mortality”
Erica Harp ’11, “Deodorant and Dominance as Directives for Masculinity”
Lily Kruglak ’11, “Preventing Genocide: Why We Must Risk Failure”
Razma Qadir ’11, “Who Are the Taliban? Can We Negotiate with Them?”
Lauren Richardson ’10, “Integrating Education in Northern Ireland”
Scott Sloat ’10, “Losing Somalia: An Assessment of the United States, the United Nations and Humanitarian Intervention in the Horn of Africa”
Faculty Research and Professional Development
Dr. Cook-Huffman was honored with the 21st annual Beachley Award for Distinguished Academic Service in May 2010.
- Christianity and Non Violence. Companion to Religion and Social Justice, ed. Michael Palmer. Oxford, UK: Blackwell. (forthcoming).
- "Gender and Conflict", an entry in The Oxford International Encyclopedia of Peace, ed. Nigel Young. Oxford University Press. 2010.
- "The Role of Identity in Conflict", a chapter in A Handbook of Conflict Analysis and Resolution Routledge. 2009.
- "Gender and Conflict," Guest Lecture. Shippensburg University. April 7, 2010.
- "Finding Our Way Through Conflict." Webinar presentation. April 2010.
- "Resourcefulness in Congregational Conflict." Webinar presentation, March 2010.
- "Conflict Healthy Congregations." Webinar presentation February, 2010.
- "Divided Societies and Conflict Resolution: Does Theory Meet Practice?" Conference Panelist, BCA International Student Conference on Divided Societies. Derry/Londonderry, N. Ireland. Nov 12-15, 2009.
Lectures & Conference Presentations
Dave Drews is a member of the Juniata SoTL Advisory Board (Scholarship of Teaching and Learning), a reviewer for Sage Publications and the journal Psychological Reports, and a self-proclaimed understated but snappy dresser.