Letter to the Editor: Masculism

Discuss the latest topics in the campus newspaper

Letter to the Editor: Masculism

Postby thompmr08 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:30 pm

I just wanted to provide a place for people to express their opinions on the Letter to the Editor recently published in the Juniatian on masculism.

Although closely associated with its production, I would like to repeat my unreserved support for its content: I think that topics about the rights of men and boys are often dismissed unfairly, and I think masculist criticisms or commentaries are often laughed off. I frequently encounter the frustrating excuse that there is further to go for the cause of women's rights, as if this somehow makes potential inequality and the negligence of problems particular to men and boys excusable.

The letter is right to conclude that any person committed to gender equality should welcome masculist perspectives and incorporate issues of male inequality into their discussions.
thompmr08

Re: Letter to the Editor: Masculism

Postby henderson » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:39 pm

I completely agree with the spirit of this post, and I would like to point out that the problem pervades all spheres of the college. I am occasionally dumbfounded by the gross generalizations that some of my faculty colleagues express about men, but which evoke nothing but laughter as a response.
henderson

Return to The Juniatian