Potential Writing Group

General talk, ideas, questions, and suggestions

Potential Writing Group

Postby hillmm09 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:36 pm

So after reading the summer reading book, Bird by Bird, (specifically the chapter on writing groups - pages 151-161) I began thinking about forming a writing group at Juniata - one that would ultimately transform into a club. Would anyone be interested? If so, feel free to offer some suggestions or ideas!
hillmm09

Re: Potential Writing Group

Postby dickey » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:58 am

Sounds like a great idea! Let me know if you are looking for an advisor down the road.
Will
dickey

Postby rowleej09 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:20 am

I'm all for it! I hope we can make this happen for real. Maybe start out where people just bring in things they've already written and share them? And other meetings could be about different writing styles and mediums.
rowleej09

Postby hillmm09 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:47 pm

Will - I will definitely let you know! We, of course, have to have enough interest in it before we can do anything... but I think we could spark enough interest! The beauty is that people don't HAVE to be English majors! But I truly think this would be an awesome opportunity and would be a fun one at that.

Emily - I think that's a good idea. At first, I would like to reference the book that sparked this interest - which requires that people have read it! So maybe we can review specific chapters that stand out and such, establish a good group of dedicated people, then go from there. Start spreading the word! :D
hillmm09

Postby rothl » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:07 pm

I have about 20 pages left to read in the book and would enjoy being part of a writing group.
rothl

Postby sadowss » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:52 pm

I'm not a student, but new to the Juniata Staff and would greatly enjoy being part of a writer's group. I just finished my MFA in Creative Writing and would benefit from a workshop group.
sadowss

Postby hillmm09 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:09 am

So while this would clearly be an RSO (Registered Student Organization), I would totally welcome everyone else on! I think this blend of expertise would provide a crucial opportunity for others.

I will start conducting a list of interested people containing names, affiliations (If a student: graduating year, if faculty: specify what department), and contact information. So if you are interested, feel free to send me an email with this information at hillmm09@juniata.edu.

Again, spread the word and feel free to continue offering suggestions! I'm very excited to see this set sail.
hillmm09

Postby hillmm09 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:58 pm

I've gotten a lot of inquiries about this group, so it looks like we can go forward with this. If anyone is still interested, please don't hesitate to express your interest!

If this gets denied by OSA (office for student activities), I don't care! We can still meet and be a group, just not one that is registered with Juniata. Though, it would be quite nice if we could be official. With that, anyone have any name suggestions? Someone suggested "Scribbles" haha any thoughts?
hillmm09

Postby blumlan10 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:46 pm

I am a Communication and Writing POE and would definitely be interested in joining a writing group!
blumlan10

Postby hillmm09 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:22 am

Well, the time has finally come! We have had enough interest to form a preliminary meeting! This is set to be Wednesday, 9/14, at 7:00 pm in Founders Hall 420. Please spread the word! If you have a copy of Bird by Bird, please bring it. If not, no worries I will have some copies of it. I hope to see you all there!
hillmm09

Return to Campus Topics