Being good community neighbors

General talk, ideas, questions, and suggestions

Being good community neighbors

Postby bennett » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:28 am

Ok, this year, the students and friends of students on Washington (18th street and above) its time to restart and be aware of the fact you live in a neighborhood, so as the spring sets in.

1) be aware of how loud you are walking in groups, esp. late in the evening (wee hours of morning)
2) do not throw trash of any sort in neighbors yards and be sure to get the trash into your cans.
3) do not come on property that is not yours, do not knock on doors and ring bells. For friends if you are looking for a house party and not sure which house it is, it isn't the house with all the lights off.

I am clearly becoming increasing upset. This has not been (IMO) a good year for you guys regarding being good neighbors.
bennett

Re: Being good community neighbors

Postby bennett » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:19 pm

Another weekend another drunken group of Juniata students congregating on on 18th and Washington. I want to apologize to the couple of students I yelled at, as they were trying to help move things along. I do want to once again chastise the students who live further up Washington St. I am not sure which house generated the hordes of drunken loud students who seemed to lose the ability to walk at the in front of my house but not the ability to be loud and obnoxious and think it was funny. I feel sorry for all the people who live below the college who have put up with this for years. I have lived in front of Mission for 14 years. over that time there was one year Mission residents were complete jerks and had not respect for others (lobbing bottles into street splashing broken glass into my yard for instance) and otherwise just being complete loud and obnoxious. This year has been borderline close to that behavior. In fact if things dont change I think it will surpass that year from mission students. So far, I don't call cops. I might. I would rather deal with this through nice calm non-middle of the night interactions. I will be sending emails to invite students living on the 18th block to send at least one representative to talk with me. I would encourage others who live off campus to consider doing the same with your neighbors. Unfortunately on the Arch, students renting one of the houses aren;t listed with that house as the local address. I hope someone will give me one name to contact.

If you are a student traveling to and from parties, be aware of your noise levels, stop drinking and sober up some before heading to or from a party (quit the dangerous practices of pre-gaming and binging).

I will try to follow better the mantra of one of my heroes, Lowell Bennion, "how can I help", next time I am confronted with sudden awakening due to the noise from the street, but in the meantime, lets try to be good neighbors.
bennett

Return to Campus Topics