Give - Juniata Scholarship Fund

The History of Good Hall

Hallowed Halls

Good Hall circa 1917Since 1917, every Juniata graduate has walked its halls. There Esther Doyle drew confidence from a shy student, Ron Cherry challenged words and minds, Donald Rockwell and Eva Hartzler removed the mystery from unfamiliar compounds, Ken Crosby questioned future lawyers, judges and elected officials, Betty Ann Cherry took us on a trip around the world, and Earl Kaylor took us back in time.

Good Hall defines Juniata's special brand of liberal education. Thirty classrooms and twenty-four faculty offices occupy the building. The granite treads on the central staircase are worn by unnumbered students and faculty members winding their upward to an early morning class.

Originally named "Science Hall" the building was constructed in 1916, one of three buildings designed by famed architect Edward Tilton (Carnegie Museum and the Stone Church of the Brethren are the others). As the science departments relocated to the newly constructed Brumbaugh Science Center in 1966, the building was enlarged in 1967 with the construction of two classroom wings on each end of the building and renamed for benefactor J. Omar Good.

Now occupied by the academic departments of Philosophy, Education, Sociology, Psychology, Politics department, Fine Arts, Religion and Criminal Justice, and extensively used by the departments of History and English, Good Hall remains the most concentrated location of traditional classroom space on the campus. Still today, every Juniata student will eventually have at least one course within Good Hall.