Leads the development and administration of library services including staffing, collections, operations and systems, budget, facilities, and inter-college relations.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Providing leadership and vision within the college for library affairs, including assisting curricular and information needs and insuring the capacity and capability for the library to help address needs.
- Formulates and implements library policies that enable faculty, students, and the larger college community to effectively access the information that supports research, teaching, and learning.
- Insures the acquisition, maintenance, storage, and enhancement of the library's collection and effective access to the library by the college community and beyond. Insures the functional integrity of library facilities.
- Teaches students, visitors, and others to efficiently utilize the library and the range of available resources, includes reference desk hours as assigned.
- Pursues the use of new technologies for information access and library operations.
- Work with various constituencies and departments in fund raising and grant opportunities.
- Work with staff in providing preservation, organization and access to the college's rare books and special collections.
- Coordinate the selection of materials for the library including print and electronic resources.
- Work with the development and organization of the Friends of the Library group.
- Library liaison to designated academic departments
Works under broad guidelines and direction of the Provost. Must work collaboratively with diverse individuals and groups. Supervises professional, support, and student staff.
- Knowledge and abilities acquired through a Masters in Library Science and a second subject masters and/or a Ph.D, preferably in library science or administration.
- At least five years administrative experience sufficient to demonstrate competency and capability with: library technologies, budget planning and management, staff selection and supervision, library collection development, reference and technical services, and familiarity with advanced library and office technology.