Strength Training Facilities
Strength Training Facilities
The Juniata College strength training program, personnel and facilities are among the best in the nation and are to serve three purposes:
- To allow our out-of-season athletes to increase their strength, endurance and flexibility.
- To allow our in-season athletes to maintain their strength over a long season.
- To accommodate all parts of the college community as part of an overall wellness initiative.
Juniata College has made a significant investment in this program and has determined it to be a priority the development of our Athletes. We ask athletes and coaches to follow these guidelines and help instruct non-athletes in the safe and proper use of equipment:
- Recognize that there will be times when the facilities are more crowded than others. At those peak times please limit cardio workouts to no more than 45 minutes.
- With racks, machines and platforms cooperation between and among teams and individuals is encouraged with sharing/spotting being a top priority during peak operating hours.
- Traditional and Non-traditional in-season teams are encouraged to use gym, field and track areas as opposed to the Fitness Center and Multi-Purpose Room during any allotted 4:00 – 6:30 weekday practice slots. Conversely, teams and individuals taking part in any fitness activities should avoid gym, field, and track areas during those same times.
- The strength and conditioning professional and staff are responsible for the scheduling of individuals, work-out units and teams in the Brumbaugh Fitness Center and Multi-purpose Room. His and their decisions are final.
- The Strength & Conditioning Coach is responsible for monitoring use of the Fitness Center. That person is also responsible for hiring qualified staff to monitor the facility in his/her absence. During any time when there may be no attendant present, students, faculty, staff, members, guests and other patrons will exercise at their own risk.
- Juniata Strength & Conditioning staff, Juniata Students, Juniata Athletics Staff, and outside interests are prohibited from giving private instruction for profit using Juniata College facilities. Camps and clinics must be sanctioned through The Camps and Conferences office.
- Only Fitness Center Instructors are permitted to provide instruction on exercise technique or equipment preparation or equipment adjustments.
Rules and Regulations:
- Collars are to be used at all times to secure plates on bars.
- If an individual has a serious health problem (e.g. a heart condition or a bad back) fitness center officials must be notified and a medical clearance obtained prior to beginning an exercise program.
- Patrons must clean off machines after use with towel and/or disinfectant.
- Patrons under the influence of alcohol or drugs will be asked to vacate the Fitness Center and the KSRC. These individuals names will be referred to the Director of Athletics and individuals access to the facilities discontinued until habits are addressed.
- The KSRC and Fitness Center are not responsible for lost of stolen items.
- Patrons may not bring food into the fitness center at any time. Beverages consumed during a workout must be in a container with a lid.
- Patrons must sign in at the Fitness Center desk prior to use of facilities.
- Athletes should pay close attention to the workout the strength coach has given them. These workouts are designed to maximize potential as an athlete and are tailored to individual sports.
- Athletes and patrons should not try an unfamiliar exercise without supervision. Before beginning, the strength coach should be asked to explain all aspects of any strength training program that is unclear.
- Wear proper attire. Everyone must wear a shirt and sneakers. No one will be allowed into the fitness center with bare feet, dirty shoes or sandals.
- Place all weights, including dumbbells, in the proper rack when done with each exercise. There should never be any weights on the floor or unattended in the racks.
- Do not move dumbbells from the dumbbell area.
- Use a spotter for all exercises.
- Do not drop weights at any time outside of the platform areas. Use proper plates on the platforms.
- Be respectful, helpful and positive example to freshman athletes and novice non-athletes in the weight room.
Click here to login as either a Faculty Member or Trustee in order to view additional policies.