Policy for Public Address Announcers, Music Selections and Game-Ops during Juniata College Athletic Contests
Announcers at Juniata Athletics Contests are retained as adjuncts of the College Communications and Sports Information staffs. When possible an effort will be made to acquire a professional announcer with experience in announcing contests for a particular sport but it is recognized that this will not be possible in many circumstances. The sports information office will assist the announcer before and during a contest by providing appropriate rosters, important information, interesting notes about each team, announcements about other Juniata Athletics events, and timely statistics during the ongoing contest.
The announcer adds to the environment of the athletic contest by introducing players and providing play-by-play information to help fans follow the action. The announcer must act in a professional manner. Specifically, the announcer should speak with clarity and enthusiasm. The announcer must avoid words or tone that could incite crowd anger toward players, coaches or officials. The announcer’s job is to enhance the environment of competition, but he or she should never overshadow the events on the field or on the court. Support the show without trying to become the show.
- Receive starting lineups from coaches. Review rosters with coaches or other personnel to learn correct pronunciation. Ask visiting coaches of women’s teams about mascot, e.g. Lady Lions or Lions. Prepare, don’t assume.
- Know the rules of the game being played. During the course of the game, be sure of play result by watching official’s signals.
- Talk with coach or SID to determine when it will be appropriate to speak. For example, in volleyball it is customary to wait until the end of a rally; but in basketball a made shot may be announced while play continues.
- Never make announcements or extraneous introductions without prior approval from the game manager.
- NEVER make public announcements about recruiting matters.
- Recognize outstanding plays by both Juniata and opponents.
- Maintain a completely unbiased stature at all championship events.
- At no time should commercial contributors be recognized at NCAA championship events.
- All announcements at NCAA Championship events should pertain only to that particular NCAA Division III Championship.
- Music selections during contests will be from a prior approved play list compiled through the athletics office. Music played prior to contests (music selections, warm-up CDs, etc.) should be screened by coaching staff for inappropriate, offensive or vulgar lyrics and kept at a lower volume. All sound effects and game-ops must receive approval by the athletics office prior to an event.
Click here to login as either a Faculty Member or Trustee in order to view additional policies.