Fire alarm systems and fire extinguishers are required for the protection of all residents and are to be used only in case of fire. Tampering with fire equipment or setting off a false alarm is a misdemeanor under state law. Deliberately causing a fire is a felony. Disciplinary action (and/or arrest) will be taken against any student found tampering with fire equipment, falsely setting off the alarm system, or causing fire. In addition, persons discharging a fire extinguisher unnecessarily will be directly referred to the Judicial Board.
For fire safe reasons, the following are expressly prohibited in residence halls:
- Cut Christmas trees
- Propane tanks
- Candles and/or any open flame, including incense
- Flame heated stoves, hotplates, and appliances with exposed heating coils
- Halogen lamps/sun lamps
- Portable heaters
Decoration lights (Christmas lights, novelty lights) should not be used as an on-going light source, and should not be attached to room fixtures or ceilings using metal fasteners and should not be used in any manner contrary to manufacturers’ recommendations.
Fires are not permitted in small house fireplaces i.e. 1731, 1631, and 2111. Sunderland and Cloister fireplaces may be used in accordance with college policy.
Fireplace Policies and Procedures
- The RD will keep a fireplace logbook
- Persons or groups desiring use of the fireplace must submit a request form to the RD at least 24 hours in advance. Any requests received less than 24 hours in advance will automatically be denied
- The person completing the form will be considered the person responsible for use of the fireplace.
- Either an RA, the RD, or a C-board member of the residence must be enlisted to act as the Fire Official.
- The Fire Official will check the fireplace (using the fire official checklist) and pile, prior to lighting, as well as observe the lighting of the fire to ensure compliance with all rules and regulations.
- Dowsing fires with water, sand, or any other substance in an attempt to extinguish controlled fires early is prohibited.
- The person responsible for the fire will also be responsible for closing the flu and having the fireplace cleaned by 12:00noon the following day.
- Cooking over fireplace fires is prohibited (with the exception of roasting marshmallows, over warm embers only, no flames!).
- On Friday and Saturday nights, the RA on duty should also be informed of approved fireplace usage.
Coffee makers, George Forman grills, hotpots and coffee pots are allowed but must have a metal plate under them at all times. Metal plates can be obtained from your Residence Director.
Hanging fabric (tapestries) from the ceiling or in front of doors or windows is prohibited.
If you need to use extension cords, please make sure you use heavy-duty cords with a minimum of 14-gauge wire. Extension cords are not permitted under rugs, carpet, or run through the ceiling or beds (frames).
If you use surge protectors, please be sure that they are heavy duty with a self-tripping breaker.
The storage or use of flammable liquids, such as gasoline, kerosene, lighter fluid, etc., is strictly prohibited. Bicycles may not be stored in corridors, stairwells, or entry ways. Only self starting charcoal is permitted when using a grill. All grilling must be conducted at a safe distance (10 feet) from any structures.
Click here to login as either a Faculty Member or Trustee in order to view additional policies.