|Add to your personal catalog|
Carnegie Hall (1907; renovated in 1998), once the College library, is a center for the fine arts. Its Henry and Mabelle Shoemaker Gallery and Edwin and Susan (Rabinowitz) Malloy Gallery of Art, replete with original stained glass windows and skylight, are used for exhibits, lectures, and receptions. Carnegie Hall is home to the Worth B. Stottlemyer and Guenther Spaltmann art collections. The hall also includes studios, darkroom, and the Juniata College Museum of Art. The Art Department’s Ceramics Studio is on the northern perimeter of the campus. The Juniata College Center for Entrepreneurial Leadership (renovated 2013) was renovated to provide a spacious new home for the ceramics program
For the musical arts, headquarters is Swigart Hall (1950), an attractive, white-brick building also on the northern side of the campus. Purchased for the College with a gift from W. Emmert Swigart ’06, it contains faculty offices, practice rooms, teaching studios, and classrooms, one of which is home to a Yamaha Piano Laboratory.
The William J. von Liebig Center for Science (2002), is a state of the art facility for biology and chemistry. The facility has strengthened Juniata’s position as a premier college for undergraduate teaching and learning in biology and chemistry. For research of all kinds, von Liebig is among the best equipped undergraduate science centers in the nation. Housed there are a cell culture facility, a shared facility for light (fluorescence, laser scanning confocal and DIC) and electron microscopy, and a fully equipped laboratory for molecular biology research. Other instrumentation includes an atomic force microscope, a gas chromatograph-mass spectrometer, a nuclear magnetic resonance spectrophotometer, a liquid chromatograph-mass spectrometer, and an x-ray diffractometer.
In the Brumbaugh Academic Center (1968) , three separate wings house seven departments. The Dale Hall wing houses business/accounting/economics, communication, information technology and computer science, and mathematics; with physics, earth and environmental science, geology, and the College Academic Computer Center located in the two corresponding wings. The circular hub of BAC includes Alumni Hall, a 400-seat auditorium, and one smaller lecture hall.
In addition, the 365-acre Raystown Field Station and the Davis and Robinson residence lodges on nearby Raystown Lake provides one of the country’s most distinctive opportunities in environmental studies. The Raystown Field Station, encompassing a complete watershed, consists of 365 acres for exclusive College use and a full 29,000 acres for additional research and study.
The center for the social sciences, Good Hall (1967, renovated 2008) contains more than 30 classrooms, two computer facilities, and three instructional laboratories: psychology, modern languages, and human interaction. A second facility, the Early Childhood Education Center, is located in Maude-Lesher Hall.
The world languages are currently headquartered in the former Humanities Center (1979) now called World Languages Center (2011), Carnegie Hall (1907, renovated 1998) and Founders Hall (1878, restored 2009). The buildings house faculty offices, seminar rooms, classrooms, and art galleries while the surrounding lawn and campus areas accommodate outdoor classes and art displays.