|Add to your personal catalog|
Founders Hall is the oldest building on campus. Constructed in 1879 (restored 2009) on land donated by local citizens, houses most administrative offices, including the President’s Office, Provost’s Office, Student Services, the Registrar, Academic Support Services, and College Advancement Offices and the departments of English and History.
The William E. Swigart, Jr. Enrollment Center (1975 remodeled in 1996) is located on 18th Street between Good Hall and the Brumbaugh Academic Center. It should be the first stop on any campus visit. The College Public Relations Office is located in the Pennington House, adjacent to Brumbaugh Academic Center. The Alumni Relations Office is located in the Harold B. Brumbaugh Alumni House on Mifflin Street behind Good Hall. Accounting Services, Digital Communications and Administrative Information Services are housed in The Stone House on Moore St. Business Services and Human Resources are located at 1923 Moore St.
The Oller Center for Peace and International Programs (1999) houses the offices of International Programs and Peace and Conflict Studies. The International Programs Office (IPO) coordinates Juniata’s internationalization efforts. The office staff members support the College’s international student population, maintain an active study abroad program, assist faculty in curricular and programmatic planning, and enhance the international environment of the College.
The Ellis Hall (1969 upgrades 2008) is noted for its imposing entrance columns, and honors Juniata’s sixth and seventh presidents, Charles C. and Calvert N. Ellis. A focal point of student life, Ellis houses the Career Services Office, Public Safety Office, Information Desk, Office of Conferences and Events, Office of Student Activities, the bookstore, post office, broadcasting center for WKVR radio, and offices for Student Government, Juniata Activities Board (JAB), The Juniatian, Laughing Bush, and other student organizations. In addition, the dining hall (the 680-seat Baker Refectory (renovated 2005), Eagles Landing (renovated 2008), a ballroom, student lounge areas, and conference rooms are here.
Juniata’s L.A. Beeghly Library (1963) provides the Juniata community with a web-based online public access catalog and library system, many full-text and other electronic databases, a book collection built to support undergraduate research, an extraordinary Special Collection, and a staff eager to assist patrons with their information needs. The library's online resources are accessible throughout the campus and beyond, and by study abroad students, making the library's web page a very convenient source for academic research. Laptops are available for patron checkout at the circulation desk and the basement contains an instruction room with 15 desktops.
The first floor has many desktop computers, two high speed printers, and an Information Commons built to support comfort, technology and collaboration. The library contains some 208,000 bound volumes, microforms, government documents, audio-visual resource materials, and can offer access to over 15,000 periodicals (full-text online, microfilm and print), 100,000 e-books, as well as literally over a billion documents, and several prominent rare book and document collections. Beeghly Library has the sixth ranked German-American rare book collection in the country. Study space can be found for over 400 patrons, including several group study rooms, and many network ports for laptops, including a wireless system. Almost all books and periodicals, except some rare editions in the W. Emmert Swigart Treasure Room, are accessible on an “open-stack” basis. The library offers interlibrary loan service, reserves, and classroom instruction, and welcomes suggestions for additions to the library collection. The library also houses the Writing Center and a Curriculum Library. The Friends of the Library provide valuable support and is a very active group on behalf of the Beeghly Library.
For cultural events, the Halbritter Center for the Performing Arts (2006)includes both the Rosenberger Auditorium and the Suzanne von Liebig Theatre. The Rosenberger Auditorium (built in 1940 remodeled in 2006)seats 850 and is used by most visiting speakers and performers as well as for student and faculty productions. The auditorium's acoustics are rated highly and large proscenium stage is equipped with modern lighting and sound equipment. The Suzanne von Liebig Theatre (2006)is a 200 seat, free form state of the art flexible theatre. The Center also includes a dance/movement theatre studio, costume shop, scene shop, classroom, green room, dressing rooms, and gallery space in its lobby
The Kennedy Sports+Recreation Center (1983) provides Juniata students with modern recreational facilities. A hub for out-of-classroom activity, the Kennedy Center contains two gymnasiums; a six-lane, 25-meter swimming pool; and the F. Samuel Brumbaugh and Martha A. Brumbaugh Strength and Fitness Center (1998); racquetball/handball courts; and three expanded locker rooms. Dedicated to those from the College who served in World War I and II, the Memorial Gym (1951) serves as the center for varsity sports activity with a seating capacity of 1,200 for basketball and volleyball.
Outdoor facilities include the Raffensperger Tennis Courts, several intramural and practice fields, Langdon/Goodale Field (baseball), the new Juniata/Huntingdon softball field, Goodman Field (2012) at Knox Stadium (football and field hockey), the Jefford F. Oller Track (2009) and the Winton Hill soccer fields.