Service Learning Trips
"Exploring the world through service and study."
Juniata students are invited to join forces with peers and gain valuable practical experience through participation in service learning trips offered throughout the spring semester.
Service trips are designed to help students take full advantage of the global classroom by immersing themselves into diverse cultures. Through their service experiences, students learn about complex issues facing various domestic and international communities. In addition, they have an opportunity to provide short-term service to organziations that promote social justice in all its forms.
Service learning trips are now offered for academic credit! Enroll in one of the following one-credit courses:
- ND 203A Urban Immersion
- ND 203B Spring Break Alternative
- ND 203C Cultural Learning Tour
- Cultural Learning Tour to Dominican Republic
- Spring Break Alternative to Perryville, AR
- Urban Immersion to Washington, DC
Past service learning trips include:
- Apopka, FL Learn about the issues surrounding immigration reform while working and living with migrant workers and their families.
- Buffalo, NY Stay at Havest House and volunteer with Vive La Casa building relationships with local refugees and asylees.
- Dominican Republic Live with host families and teach English to elementary students.
- Morgantown, WV Work with the Shack Neighborhood House and learn about rural Appalachian poverty.
- Philadelphia, PA Volunteer with Women's Campaign International and the Bethesda Project while participating in an interfaith dialogue.
South Dakota Experience Native American culture while serving on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation.
- Northern Ireland Learn about the Troubles of Northern Ireland as well as serve an organization that promotes reconciliation.
- Port Neches, TX Assist Presbyterian Disaster Assistance in relief efforts.
- Washington, DC Learn about shocking statistics of our nation's capital while serving members of the community.
Puerto Rico Experience Puerto Rican culture as well as serve the community of Caimito.
- Maryland Serve at a rural homeless shelter.
- Buffalo, NY Learn about urban issues and perform urban service projects.
- Ecuador Explore ecotourism as well as social and political justice issues.
- FL Everglades Focus on environmental preservation and education.
- Philadelphia Collaborate with Arcadia University to perform urban service projects.
- Tennessee Learn about the history of Native Americans in the Appalachian region.
- West Virginia Assist with home rehabilitation in a coal mining region.
- Hartford, CT Support social ministries of the Sisters of Saint Joseph.
- Guatemala Focus on political and environmental issues impacting indigenous peoples.
- Gulf Coast Participate in cleanup efforts in the wake of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita.
- Washington, DC Learn about issues of urban hunger and homelessness.
- Florida Assist Brethren Disaster Relief with hurricane cleanup efforts.
- Arizona Focus on hunger and homelessness in the Desert Southwest.
- Guatemala Focus on human rights, education and ESL teaching.
- North Carolina Learn about hunger awareness and environmental concerns.