Assistant Athletics Director for External Relations
Plans, coordinates, and implements the sports information/public relations/promotion efforts for the athletics department. As Assistant AD, maintains general responsibility for all athletics events, the Juniata softball program, athletics recognition, and athletics related awards.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plans and coordinates preparation and distribution of athletic publications including, but not limited to, individual sport brochures, game programs, media guides, newsletters, weekly releases, special news spots, game results, etc.
- Prepares and distributes athletic contest statistics, including team and individual performance statistics.
- Insures preparation and the maintenance of accurate data sets, photo files, and data for information return.
- Maintains the athletic department web page including schedules, results, rosters and coach information.
- Prepares and issues public relations and media pieces to support and promote the athletic department and athletic events.
- Responds to information requests from news media, conference offices, NCAA, and other sports information officers. Provide accurate and complete information in a timely manner.
- Responsible for the operation, staffing, payroll and budget of home event press box, press table and public address functions.
- Responsible for maintaining and updating Juniata Sports Hotline.
- Master of Ceremonies at various events including spring awards ceremony.
- General responsibility for athlete recognition and awards.
- Nomination of athletes for all-America, all-conference, ECAC, etc. recognition.
- Collaborates with J-Club and development personnel on athletics related issues and projects.
- Is a member of the College Sports Hall-of-fame selection committee.
- Acts as official game-day manager when necessary.
- Member of Athletics Administration Cabinet.
- General responsibility for all events and event managers:
- Event managers report to you.
- Insure that sport-by-sport checklists are up-to-date and followed
- Monitor hiring standards, quotas, protocols and management (by event managers) of student workers.
- Monitor fan decorum and establish event protocols to best insure positive experiences for all attending and participating constituencies.
- Responsible for overall event-worker payroll budget.
- Oversight of all event specific equipment and equipment purchases.
- Overall responsibility for coordination of NCAA, ECAC, and Conference Championship Events.
- Directs and administratively supervises the Head Softball Coach and maintains responsibility for the activities within that program. This includes hiring and firing of the head coach and concurrence/approval for any other softball related hires.
- Head search committees within the athletics department on request.
- Performs related duties as assigned by the Director of Athletics.
Receives general direction and guidance. Must work collaboratively and supportively with other individuals and groups. Hires, trains, and supervises Assistant SID, student employees and interns, providing specific direction and oversight of assignments. Trains and supervises event managers.
- Knowledge and capabilities normally acquired through completion of a Bachelor’s Degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated experience, knowledge, and proficiency with PC software sufficient to support media material publications and relevant athletic events statistical calculation.
- At least three years experience with sports information sufficient to demonstrate skills in: written and oral communications, sports statistics, media relations and event planning and management.
- Working knowledge of Desktop Publishing software (Adobe Pagemaker/InDesign or Quark Express) and of website management software (Macromedia Dreamweaver).
- Extensive knowledge of Statcrew statistics programs for all sports.