Assistant Director of Instructional Technology
The responsibilities of the Assistant Director of Instructional Technology are congruent with the fast and furious advancements in technology, specifically as they apply to teaching, learning, and the development of digital literacy for all Juniata faculty, staff, and students. The primary role will be to investigate and maintain a familiarity with cutting edge software and technology solutions that enhance the classroom experience, promote collaboration, and increase overall efficiency in administrative functions.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide and perform assessment methodologies to determine technology skill level. Work closely with other members of CTS and administration to continually gain an understanding of user expectations and training needs.
- Plan, organize, and lead training classes involving standard business software packages, emerging technology and instructional technology.
- Provide expertise in the development of instructional pedagogies for the diverse needs of our students through one-on-one sessions and faculty development workshops.
- Combine learning theory, design practices, and technologies to assist in the creation of effective teaching and learning spaces, both physical and virtual, for the college.
- Evaluate new and emerging technologies and their ability to meet teaching and learning needs (through the trial of new software, attending conferences, etc.).
- Meet with faculty to develop innovative forms of assessment and provide in-class instruction to students on the usage of specific technologies required to complete these projects.
- Be knowledgeable and educate others on policies, issues, and laws affecting Online Learning (Americans with Disabilities Act, 508 compliance, etc.).
- Coordinate the technology training of new employees.
- Develop courses to be offered in the Huntingdon community.
- Supervise student training assistants and assist with the management of student help desk workers.
- Aid in the development of up to date documentation on application and classroom equipment usage (Wiki, Classroom Guides, etc.).
- Perform related duties as assigned.
This position is supervised by the Director of the Technology Solutions Center under general guidelines and direction and must be able to work cooperatively and collaboratively with others. The Assistant Director of Instructional Technology will also be a member of the technology leadership team to guide the technology decisions of the campus and department overall.
- Knowledge and abilities normally acquired through a Bachelor’s Degree in an instructional systems related discipline or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- At least 2 years experience in education with an exposure to training, technology integration, or pedagogical analysis.
- Experience working with Administration, Faculty, and Staff on the integration of technology into the workplace and classroom, as well as out of class collaboration tools.
- Understanding of course or content management systems, such as Moodle, Angel, or Blackboard.
- Very strong interpersonal communication skills. Ability to communicate technical information to non-technical personnel. Must also demonstrate experience working in a team-oriented environment.
- Experience with both PC’s and Mac’s a plus as well as a wide variety of software applications.
- Background check required.
The position is primarily sedentary in a climate controlled office with little exposure to environmental hazards; however, due to the campus environment there will be a need to go from building to building for meetings and specialized training needs. The position may require lifting/pushing/carrying objects up to 10 pounds.
- Must have a strong sense of responsibility and integrity due to the level of system access required for this position.
- Must agree to and pass a background check.