Director of New Media Communications
Reporting to the Executive Director of Marketing, the Director of New Media Communications will provide leadership, vision and management for Juniata’s New Media production, including: design, content, marketing effectiveness, functional and aesthetic innovation. The Director directs and supervises the work of the multidisciplinary, freelance student teams that develop and maintains fluencies in emerging media including video, various forms of animation, audio and social media; creates and directs the production of media delivered through a variety of channels including Web, broadcast, podcast, streaming, projection, and others; manages the Digital Media Studio, including staffing, budget oversight, hardware/software acquisition and maintenance, and resource allocation; works closely with Juniata administrative offices in the design, production and delivery of media content in support of institutional objectives; and provides institutional leadership in the areas of new and social media, exploring and demonstrating possibilities, applications and coordinated uses of new media.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Produce and direct media productions to support enrollment, advancement and marketing initiatives.
- Through paid internships and work study, build and nurture a broadly talented pool of freelance student artists, technicians and media producers.
- Provides strong support of budgetary control by executing tactics to reduce or control dependence on print or traditional media. Recommends strategic investments needed to enhance production ability and message deployment.
- Research, recommend and deploy new media, technologies and techniques.
This position is supervised by the Executive Director of Marketing under general guidelines and must be able to work cooperatively and collaboratively with others. This position is responsible for the supervision of between 6 -15 part time and/or freelance production staff.
- Knowledge and abilities normally acquired through a Masters Degree in a digital-media-related discipline or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, schedule, supervise multiple complex productions, meet overlapping deadlines, effectively motivate and manage student production workers.
- Solid knowledge of Photoshop, Flash, Final Cut Pro, After Effects, audio production software.
- Familiarity with narrative and illustrative conventions and recent trends and innovations in temporal media; familiarity with contemporary advertising and marketing techniques, especially those utilizing comprehensive approaches to new and social media.
- Excellent communications skills and the ability to work closely with various members of the college community in concept and project development to meet their needs.
- Very strong photographic and videographic skills.