Director of Intensive English Program
This full-time, ten-month, annual renewable position reports to the Assistant Dean of International Programs. As a member of the Center for International Education team, the IEP Director supports the integration of international students into the academic and social life of campus.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain policies and procedures according to the American Association of Intensive English Programs.
- Manage program budget.
- Maintain relationships with recruiting agents and sponsoring programs.
- Interview prospective instructors and supervise/evaluate teaching staff.
- Conduct staff meetings and facilitate professional development.
- Perform other duties related to the coordination of the IEP.
- Oversee curriculum, schedule classes and assign instruction.
- Coordinate initial placement testing and end of semester assessment.
- Teach 3-6 credits/semester (9-12/year) in the program, depending on program needs.
- Advise international students.
- Oversee placement of undergraduate students in ESL teaching practica.
- Chair the IEP Advisory Committee.
- Work with faculty advisors and CIE personnel to support international student services.
- Master's degree in TESL, Linguistics, or Language/Literacy Education (with ESL endorsement or TESL certification).
- Minimum of 3 years experience teaching ESL to international students in a US college or IEP, and experience collaborating with colleagues across institutional departments.
- Proficiency in a language other than English and significant international experience living, studying, or working abroad is preferred but not required.