Library Serials Coordinator
Provides office support to the Library primarily in serials and college archives.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Periodicals Processing (Print & Microfilm) – Processing of each issue (from daily newspapers to weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual journals) requires handling in various stages. After sorting, each issue must be checked in, shelved in the proper location and then maintained after usage. The Serials Coordinator helps with the supervision of the students and handles problems that arise in processing.
- Subscription Maintenance – The Coordinator also is responsible for contact with periodical vendors claiming of items not receive to ensure that the library receives issues it has purchased.
- Electronic Periodical Maintenance – this person will work with various electronic serials projects. The Serials Coordinator will work with an excel sheet that controls our serials and how our library users see them. This requires their undivided attention for precise data entry and verification for a few hours per week.
- Bindery Orders/Archival Duties – The Serials Coordinator is also responsible for preparing items to be bound, including items from the College Archives for preservation. The position includes working with college archives in general.
- Periodicals/SIRSI – The Head of Library Systems & Technology works with the Serials Coordinator, Library Office Assistant, and students for training and assistance with electronic programs that effect the print serials collection. This includes large projects involving the library’s integrated automated system.
Works independently within prescribed policies and procedures. Reports to the Director of Library. Must work collaboratively with diverse individuals and groups. Supervises student assistants.
The above responsibilities will require a person with an aptitude for computer usage and an eye and a dedication to details. This person will need to have a team spirit and get along well with fellow staff workers as well as with students. Experience in office work and/or libraries essential.