Assistant Library Director
Reporting to the Library Director, this position will have primary responsibility in the area previously assigned as the employee’s main job description, and secondary responsibility as Assistant Director. In addition to the primary functional area, this position will plan with the Library Director in the operation of the Library, including fostering a collaborative, collegial working environment within the library and in the college community; participate in library-wide planning and policy development; assist the Director in fiscal management and other areas; and serve as Acting Director in the Director's absence.
- Assist in the formulation of goals, objectives and day-to-day operation of the Library in keeping with the mission statement of the Library.
- Collaborate with Staff in the daily function of the Library. Create and share with the Library Director a leadership philosophy.
- Establish and maintain a close working relationship with the Director, Provost, Faculty and Administration and follow established goals, philosophies and objectives of the College.
Serve as chief advisor to the Library Director on internal and external matters concerning the library.
- Assist in assessment and evaluation, and recommend Library procedures and policies.
- Assist the Director in fiscal management, including advisement on budget matters.
- Attend workshops, continuing education programs and other professional training opportunities related to library administration.
- Serve as Acting Library Director in the Director's absence. Performs other duties assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to at all times meet, communicate, and deal effectively and collegially with people.
- Ability to make decisions within stated guidelines and handle confidential matters.
- Strong leadership, organizational, interpersonal and supervisory skills.
- Understanding and commitment related to the Library’s principles, procedures, technology, goals, and philosophy of service.
- Knowledge of library networks and networking.
- Ability to establish and consistently maintain effective and productive working relationships with co-workers and the public.
- A master's degree from an ALA-accredited school of Library/Information Science.
- A minimum of five years experience in an academic library environment demonstrating an increasing level of leadership ability and excellent communication skills.