The Advancement Specialist provides primary support for the development department, particularly in coordinating development travel with senior administrators and the president. The position also assists development staff in arranging visits with donors and prospects, prepares follow-up correspondence and major gift proposals, and organizes donor contact records and gift acknowledgment with advancement services.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists staff and serves as a development liaison to the president’s office in developing prospective visits by reviewing the locations of major prospects, noting previous contact and giving records and securing appointments with the prospects selected.
- Assists in event planning in conjunction with development and alumni staff.
- Generates lists, records contact reports and makes changes and updates.
- Provides office management and primary administrative support for the Development Department, and on occasion to the VP of Advancement and Marketing in a development capacity.
- Reports to the Director of Major Gifts.
- May supervise student employees and interns.
- High school diploma plus knowledge and capabilities normally acquired through a business college degree or a high school emphasis in business.
- Three or more years of progressively responsible work experience required.
- Excellent interpersonal, planning, organizational and communication skills.
- A working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Ability to work independently within a broad strategic framework and institutional priorities.
- Must work cooperatively and collaboratively with numerous and diverse individuals and groups.