Director of Technology Operations
Working in a team environment, the Director of Operations is responsible for the design and operations of the entire technology infrastructure at Juniata College, including enterprise-wide hardware and software development and deployment, campus backbone operations, digital video, voice, and data communications systems, and supportive classroom technology deployment.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee daily operations of campus network infrastructure and administrative information systems.
- Manage design of LAN / WAN environment and integration of services.
- Serve as a key resource, along with Director, Solution Center, for newly proposed IT projects, both internal and external.
- Oversee campus IT security, both hardware (firewall) and software (anti-virus).
- Manage budget to support department and campus-wide technology endeavors.
- Oversees departmental goal setting and evaluation.
- Communicate with Solution Center to ensure needs of academic IT projects are being met.
- Serve the academic IT program through the teaching of IT courses and certification offerings.
- Perform IT outreach to local schools, IU's, and businesses through infrastructure and instructional support.
- Other duties as assigned.
Expected to understand, support, and implement the vision and goals of the Vice President/Chief Information Officer in support of the strategic initiatives of the college. Works with considerable independence and self-direction. Only general direction of the departmental initiatives and operational activities are discussed with the vice president. Works in a team environment with Director, Technology Solutions Center. Works cooperatively and collaboratively with diverse group of clients, vendors, and organizations including cabinet members, alumni, trustees, faculty, staff, and students. Provides direct supervision, including selection and development of support, student and administrative staff.
- Knowledge and capabilities normally acquired through a business-related Bachelor's Degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Advanced degree in communications, computer science, management information systems, business and/or public administration, information technology or related field desirable.
- At least five years of senior level management experience that demonstrates competencies in the management of large-scale network design and operation, database management, client-based computing support, web-based systems support, contract negotiations, and enterprise-wide software development and implementation.
- Experience in working in a team environment, including shared goal identification, shared planning, shared evaluation, and consensus decision-making.
- Experience in managing multiple, sometimes competing priorities and identifying courses of action that maximize economic return.