Physics Laboratory Instructor/Equipment Coordinator
Oversees all laboratory courses in the Physics department. Specifically, performs a variety of technical tasks related to physics laboratory operations including the procurement, testing, and maintenace of scientific equipment, and inventorying and purchasing equipment and supplies to facilitate teaching and research objectives. Furthermore, the Instructor/Coordinator will be aware of the content of these courses on a weekly basis, will be actively involved inorganizing equipment, will troubleshoot laboratory activities, and will teach some labs or entire lab courses.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Assumes primary responsibility for:
- scientific equipment assembly, calibration, maintenance, purchasing, and repair for student course laboratories and scientific research,
- attending, and at times teaching, laboratory courses in the Physics department as determined by the department Chair,
- serving in an active leadership role in laboratory setup (particularly when the course involves student assistants and/or multiple instructors),
- supervision of student assistants, and
- designing and developing new experiments and demonstrations.
- Oversees the physics mechanical shop in relation to safety, organization, equipment and supplies, and equipment operation.
- Assists faculty with tasks related to the effective operation of science facilities including consulting and coordinating with Facilities Services staff in relation to mechanical, electrical, and space requirements/problems; with Campus Network staff in maintaining and enhancing department computing capabilities; and with appropriate personnel in relation to shipping and receiving.
- Regularly organizes all laboratory spaces within the department.
- Actively participates in all aspects of the Physics department, including SPS and Physics Seminar.
- Performs related duties as assigned by the Physics department Chair and by the Director of Environmental Health and Safety.
The Physics Laboratory Instructor/Equipment Coordinator's supervisor is the Chair of the Physics department. The Instructor/Coordinator works independently to fulfill his/her responsibilities and also works collaboratively with faculty, students and staff. The Instructor/Coordinator has supervisory responsibilities for student assistants and for the operation of the mechanical shop.
- Knowledge and capabilities, including electronics, normally acquired through completion of a Masters or Ph.D. degree in physics or engineering.
- At least three years of experience working with physics instrumentation, emphasizing evaluation, maintenance, and repair of such instrumentation.
- Knowledge and skills in using basic PC software for physics laboratory and research applications.