Performs a variety of technical tasks related to laboratory operations including the preparation, maintenance and operation of scientific equipment and supplies to facilitate teaching and research objectives. Works primarily with Director of Science Facilities and Safety and Environmental Science and Studies, Geology, Field Biology, and Physics Departments but supports Biology and Chemistry Departments as needed.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists faculty and Director of Science Facilities and Safety with scientific equipment supply, assembly, calibration, maintenance, repair and/or replacement for student course laboratories and scientific research.
- Provides technical assistance, instruction, and consultation to faculty and students regarding operation of equipment and other technical matters.
- Assists faculty and Director of Science Facilities and Safety with tasks related to the effective operation of science facilities including conducting inventories, managing databases, and shipping and receiving.
- Assists faculty and Director of Science Facilities and Safety with environmental health and safety issues related to laboratories and other science facilities including managing waste chemicals and other materials.
- Provides support in general laboratory housekeeping, maintenance, and safety.
- Plans and coordinates lab needs for physical plant including moving, cleaning, etc.
- Performs related duties, as assigned by supervisor.
Works independently and under general directions. Must work collaboratively with faculty, students and staff. Supervisory responsibilities for student assistants.
- Knowledge and capabilities normally acquired through completion of a bachelor's degree in science or a technical field.
- At least one year of experience working with laboratory equipment necessary to maintain, repair, and evaluate scientific instrumentation.
- Knowledge and skills in using basic PC software applications for technical information consultation and exchange and maintaining departmental inventories.