English as a Second Language Instructor
The Intensive English Program (IEP) at Juniata College in Huntingdon, Pennsylvania, is seeking applications for a full-time, non-tenure-track position as an English as a Second Language (ESL) Instructor starting in January 2014.
The IEP is an English for academic purposes program working within the overall mission of Juniata College, a liberal arts school with the mission to “provide an engaging personalized educational experience empowering our students to develop the skills, knowledge and values that lead to a fulfilling life of service and ethical leadership in the global community.”
The successful candidate will teach ESL courses across the IEP curriculum. Responsibilities include teaching 18-21 credit hours per year plus five office hours per week. The successful candidate will also participate in IEP activities such as placement testing, advising, curriculum development, and department meetings.
The IEP is seeking individuals with native or near-native fluency with the following minimum qualifications:
• MA in ESL, Applied Linguistics, or related field;
• Teaching experience in ESL at the college/university level;
• Experience teaching across skills and levels, preferably in multi-cultural classrooms;
• Experience integrating technology into classroom instruction;
• Ability to work collaboratively as a member of an instructional team.
• Experience living and working abroad;
• Proficiency in a language other than English;
• Experience with The Commission on English Language Accreditation standards.
Applicants should submit the following: 1) a cover letter, 2) a curriculum vitae; 3) a statement of teaching philosophy and how it relates to desired student outcomes, 4) graduate academic transcripts (unofficial transcripts acceptable for application, but all will be verified before hire); and 4) three letters of recommendation.
Juniata College takes positive steps to enhance diversity in both its community and its curriculum. The College commits to this policy not because of legal obligations but because it fully believes that such practices are basic to human dignity. It is the policy of Juniata College to conduct background checks.
To apply for this position, please complete our online application: