Environmental Science & Studies (ESS) Technician/Coordinator
Juniata College invites applicants for our Environmental Science & Studies (ESS) Technician/Coordinator position.
Oversee all laboratories and laboratory courses in the ESS department. Specifically, performs a variety of technical tasks related to ESS laboratory operations including the procurement, testing, and maintenance of scientific equipment, and inventorying and purchasing equipment and supplies to facilitate teaching and research objectives. Furthermore, the Technician/Coordinator will be aware of the content of these courses, will be actively involved in organizing equipment, oversee various laboratory and field courses, troubleshoot laboratory activities, and may teach or assist in teaching some labs or entire lab courses.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Assumes primary responsibility for:
* scientific equipment assembly, calibration, maintenance, purchasing, and repair for student course laboratories and scientific research,
* periodically attending, and at times teaching, laboratory courses in the ESS department as determined by the department Chair.
* periodically attending and overseeing various field courses as determined by the department Chair.
* serving in an active leadership role in laboratory setup (particularly when the course involves student assistants and/or multiple instructors),
* supervision of student assistants, and
* designing and developing new experiments and demonstrations.
2. Oversees the ESS laboratories in relation to safety, organization, equipment and supplies, and equipment operation.
3. Assists faculty with tasks related to the effective operation of science facilities including consulting and coordinating with Facilities Services staff in relation to mechanical, electrical, and space requirements/problems; with Campus Network staff in maintaining and enhancing department computing capabilities; and with appropriate personnel in relation to shipping and receiving.
4. Regularly organizes all laboratory spaces within the department.
5. Actively participates in all aspects of the ESS department.
6. Performs related duties as assigned by the ESS department Chair and by the Director of Environmental Health and Safety.
The ESS Technician/Coordinator’s supervisor is the Chair of the ESS department. The technician/coordinator works independently to fulfill his/her responsibilities and also works collaboratively with faculty, students and staff. The technician/coordinator has supervisory responsibilities for student assistants and for the operation of some ESS laboratories.
1. Knowledge and capabilities, including various aspects of laboratory equipment generally used in environmental fields. A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Science or related field.
2. Knowledge and skills in using basic PC software for laboratory and research applications.
It is the policy of Juniata College to conduct background checks. Juniata College takes positive steps to enhance diversity in both its community and its curriculum. The College commits itself to this practice not because of legal obligations, but because it fully believes that such practices are basic to human dignity.
To apply for this position, please complete our online application: