Women's tennis takes lead out of doubles matches, but falters in singles in loss to Susquehanna
(Posted April 20, 2010)
HUNTINGDON, Pa. -- The Juniata College women's tennis team carried two of three doubles matches, but was unable to carry that momentum into singles as the Eagles dropped a 6-3 decision to Landmark Conference rival Susquehanna University, Tuesday afternoon on the Raffensperger Tennis Courts.
The loss dropped Juniata's record to 8-8 overall, 1-4 in Landmark Conference play, and eliminated the Eagles from contention for a berth in the four-team Landmark Conference tournament.
Senior Maggie Wolenter (Audubon, N.J./Audubon) and sophomore Katie Healy (Pittsburgh, Pa./Mt. Lebanon) opened with an 8-5 win at no. 1 double for the Eagles over the Crusaders' Julia Lerner and Whitney Arcaro. Stacie Beegle (Schellsburg, Pa./Chestnut Ridge) and Lauren Perow (Huntingdon, Pa./Huntingdon Area) duplicated the feat with an 8-5 victory in their no. 2 doubles match over Abby Hess and Kim Rogers.
Perow posted the lone Juniata victory in singles play, notching a 6-2, 6-2 victory at no. 4 flight over Ellen Pulsinelle.
The Juniata women's team returns to the court on Friday, April 23, when it hosts Lebanon Valley College at 3:30 p.m. on the Raffensperger Tennis Courts.
Susquehanna 6, Juniata 3
1. Julia Lerner (SUS) def. Katie Healy (JUN) 6-2, 6-3
2. Abby Hess (SUS) def. Maggie Wolenter (JUN) 6-3, 6-1
3. Kim Rogers (SUS) def. Stacie Beegle (JUN) 6-4, 6-3
4. Lauren Perow (JUN) def. Ellen Pulsinelle (SUS) 6-2, 6-2
5. Whitney Arcaro (SUS) def. Hilary Walsh (JUN) 6-2, 6-0
6. Cassie Zerbe (SUS) def. Rachel Adams (JUN) 6-2, 7-5
1. Katie Healy/Maggie Wolenter (JUN) def. Julia Lerner/Whitney Arcaro (SUS) 8-5
2. Stacie Beegle/Lauren Perow (JUN) def. Abby Hess/Kim Rogers (SUS) 8-5
3. Jessi Haas/Allison Killeen (SUS) def. Hilary Walsh/Rachel Adams (JUN) 8-3
Susquehanna University 7-4, 2-2 Landmark
Juniata College 8-8, 1-4 Landmark
Our readers respond...
Contact John Wall at firstname.lastname@example.org or (814) 641-3132 for more information.