Men's tennis falls in three close singles matches, drops 7-2 decision to Susquehanna
(Posted April 22, 2010)
HUNTINGDON, Pa. -- It could have just as easily been a 5-4 win for Juniata College â?" that's how close it was the Eagles' Thursday afternoon Landmark Conference men's tennis match against Susquehanna University.
However Juniata dropped all three singles matches that it stretched to a third set, and fell to the visiting Crusaders, 7-2, on the Raffensperger Tennis Courts.
Juniata (6-11, 1-4 Landmark) came out of doubles trailing 2-1, after picking up one point at no. 3 doubles with a win by Brice Morey (Enola, Pa./East Pennsboro) and Tucker Good (Gettysburg, Pa./Gettysburg) over Susquehanna's William Mellor and Grant Uber.
Jarrad Silver (Bethesda, Md./Walt Whitman) tacked on a second point with a 6-1, 6-3 win at no. 1 singles over SU's Michael Hickey.
Juniata's entries at no. 2, 4, and 6 singles all took their opponents to a decisive third set, but were unable to close the books on the win. Arnab Chakrabarti (Alpharetta, Ga./Alpharetta) dropped a 2-6, 6-2, 6-3 decision at no. 2 flight, while Good was upended at no. 4 with a 3-6, 6-2, 6-1 loss to Matthew Quadrini. Scott Andrews (Hollidaysburg, Pa./Altoona) battled Bruce Osborn to a 6-3, 5-7 deadlock after two sets, but dropped the third set, 6-2.
Juniata continues Landmark Conference play this weekend, traveling to Washington, D.C., on Saturday, April 24, to face Catholic University of America. Start time for the match is 12:00 p.m.
Susquehanna 7, Juniata 2
1. Jarrad Silver (JUN) def. Michael Hickey (SUS) 6-1, 6-3
2. Mats Haaland (SUS) def. Arnab Chakrabarti (JUN) 2-6, 6-2, 6-3
3. Richard Fitzsimmons (SUS) def. Brice Morey (JUN) 6-3, 7-5
4. Matthew Quadrini (SUS) def. Tucker Good (JUN) 3-6, 6-2, 6-1
5. Alec Green (SUS) def. Ross Imbrie (JUN) 6-3, 6-2
6. Bruce Osborn (SUS) def. Scott Andrews (JUN) 6-3, 5-7, 6-2
1. Mats Haaland/Richard Fitzsimmons (SUS) def. Arnab Chakrabarti/Jarrad Silver (JUN) 8-6
2. Michael Hickey/Matthew Quadrini (SUS) def. Ross Imbrie/Scott Andrews (JUN) 8-5
3. Brice Morey/Tucker Good (JUN) def. William Mellor/Grant Uber (SUS) 8-1
Susquehanna University 8-5, 3-2 Landmark
Juniata College 6-11, 1-4 Landmark
Our readers respond...
Contact John Wall at email@example.com or (814) 641-3132 for more information.