Juniata men's tennis drops 7-2 decision to Landmark rival Catholic
(Posted April 27, 2010)
WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Juniata College men's tennis picked up a pair of wins in doubles, but was unable to get any singles wins in a 7-2 loss to the Cardinals on Tuesday afternoon in Washington, D.C.
Juniata's top doubles tandem of Jarrad Silver (Bethesda, Md./Walt Whitman) and Arnab Chakrabarti (Alpharetta, Ga./Alpharetta) notched a 9-7 win over Catholic's Daniel Valverde and Michael Schinella at no. 1 doubles. Tucker Good (Gettysburg, Pa./Gettysburg) and Brice Morey (Enola, Pa./East Pennsboro) grabbed another win for the Eagles at no. 3 doubles, with a 6-2 triumph over Kyle Kramer and Joe Gribbin.
The Eagles (6-12, 1-5 Landmark) were unable to carry that momentum into singles play, where the Cardinals managed to make a sweep of singles matches for the win.
The closest Juniata came to pulling off a singles win was at no. 6 singles, where Scott Andrews (Hollidaysburg, Pa./Altoona) took Kramer into a super-tiebreaker before falling 6-0, 4-6, 10-8.
Juniata concludes its 2009-10 season on Saturday, May 1, when it travels to Kings Point, N.Y., to face the United States Merchant Marine Academy.
Catholic 7, Juniata 2
1. Daniel Valverde (CUA) def. Jarrad Silver (JUN), 7-5, 6-3
2. Michael Schinella (CUA) def. Arnab Chakrabarti (JUN), 6-3, 7-6 (7-5)
3. Jean Paul Roman (CUA) def. Brice Morey (JUN), 6-2, 6-2
4. Joe Gribbin (CUA) def. Tucker Good (JUN), 2-6, 6-2, 6-4
5. Rubin Tian (CUA) def. Ross Imbrie (JUN), 6-2, 6-3
6. Kyle Kramer (CUA) def. Scott Andrews (JUN), 6-0, 4-6, 10-8
1. Jarrad Silver/Arnab Chakrabarti (JUN) def. Michael Valverde/Daniel Schinella (CUA), 9-7
2. Jean Paul Roman/Rubin Tian (CUA) def. Ross Imbrie/Scott Andrews (JUN), 7-5
3. Tucker Good/Brice Morey (JUN) def. Kyle Kramer/Nicholas Petrantonio (CUA), 6-2
Our readers respond...
Contact John Wall at email@example.com or (814) 641-3132 for more information.