Men's tennis upends Susquehanna, 6-3; women's tennis drops 6-3 decision to Crusaders
(Posted April 15, 2011)
SELINSGROVE, Pa. -- Juniata College men's tennis won its second straight Landmark Conference match and improved to 7-8 overall with a 6-3 win over Susquehanna University, Friday afternoon at the Garrett Sports Complex Tennis Courts.
The Juniata women were unable to find the necessary points against the host Crusaders and dropped a 6-3 decision to Susquehanna.
In the men's match, the no. 1 doubles team of Justin Wisniewski (Moorestown, N.J./Moorestown) and Arnab Chakrabarti (Alpharetta, Ga./Alpharetta) notched a 9-8 (7-2) decision over Susquehanna's Michael Hickey and Mats Haaland. Juniata also picked up a second point at no. 2 doubles with Elliott Perow (Huntingdon, Pa./Huntingdon Area) and Brice Morey (Enola, Pa./East Pennsboro) defeating the Crusaders' Matthew Quadrini and Jeremy Neville, 8-3.
In singles play, the Eagles (7-8, 2-3 Landmark) took wins at no. 1 through no. 4 singles to complete the victory, including a 6-0, 2-6, 10-5 win gutted out by Chakrabarti over Susquehanna's Alec Green at no. 4 singles.
Juniata (5-11, 0-5 Landmark) opened up the women's match with Laura Gregory (Morrisonville, N.Y./Seton Catholic Central) and Rachel Adams (McLean, Va./Jakarta Int'l School) taking an 8-4 decision at no. 3 doubles over Susquehanna's Whitney Arcaro and Ellen Pullsinelle.
The Eagles managed just two more wins in singles matches. Stacie Beegle (Schellsburg, Pa./Chestnut Ridge) recorded a 4-6, 6-4, 6-4 win over Jessica Klinger at no. 2 singles, while Hilary Walsh (Waynesboro, Pa./Waynesboro Area) notched a 2-6, 7-5, 10-2 triumph at no. 6 singles.
Both the Juniata men's and women's teams will host Catholic University of America on Sunday, April 17, at 1:00 p.m. on the Raffensperger Tennis Courts.
Juniata 6, Susquehanna 3
1. Justin Wisniewski/Arnab Chakrabarti (JUN) def. Michael Hickey/Mats Haaland (SUS), 9-8 (7-2)
2. Elliott Perow/Brice Morey (JUN) def. Matthew Quadrini/Jeremy Neville (SUS), 8-3
3. Bruce Osborn/Grant Uber (SUS) def. Scott Andrews/Matt Butler (JUN), 8-4
1. Justin Wisniewski (JUN) def. Michael Hickey (SUS), 6-4, 6-0
2. Elliott Perow (JUN) def. Mats Haaland (SUS), 7-5, 6-1
3. Brice Morey (JUN) def. Jeremy Neville (SUS), 6-3, 6-3
4. Arnab Chakrabarti (JUN) def. Alec Green (SUS), 6-0, 2-6, 10-5
5. Bruce Osborn (SUS) def. Scott Andrews (JUN), 6-2, 6-1
6. Grant Uber (SUS) def. Matt Butler (JUN), 6-1, 7-5
Susquehanna 6, Juniata 3
1. Julia Lerner/Jessica Klinger (SUS) def. Stacie Beegle/Megan Phillips (JUN), 8-1
2. Kim Rogers/Abby Hess (SUS) def. Lauren Perow/Hilary Walsh (JUN), 8-4
3. Laura Gregory/Rachel Adams (JUN) def. Whitney Arcaro/Ellen Pullsinelle (SUS), 8-4
1. Julia Lerner (SUS) def. Megan Phillips (JUN), 6-1, 6-0
2. Stacie Beegle (JUN) def. Jessica Klinger (SUS), 4-6, 6-4, 6-4
3. Abby Hess (SUS) def. Lauren Perow (JUN), 6-2, 6-4
4. Ellen Pullsinelle (SUS) def. Laura Gregory (JUN), 6-3, 6-1
5. Whitney Arcaro (SUS) def. Rachel Adams (JUN), 6-2, 6-1
6. Hilary Walsh (JUN) def. Cassie Zerbe (SUS), 2-6, 7-5, 10-2
Our readers respond...
Contact John Wall at email@example.com or (814) 641-3132 for more information.