Women's tennis drops match to Lebanon Valley College
(Posted September 17, 2011)
HUNTINGDON, Pa. -- Juniata College women's tennis suffered a 7-2 loss against Lebanon Valley College in a rescheduled contest, Saturday afternoon on the Raffensperger Tennis Courts.
In singles play, freshman Heather Waring (San Antonio, Texas/John Jay) earned her first collegiate victory against the Dutchmen's Tam Lobb. Waring played a close first set against Lobb ending in a 7-5 score, but Waring adapted her play in order to defeat her opponent in the next set with an impressive 6-1 set score.
Senior Lisa Hauptman (Alfred-Delp-Schule/Lorsch, Germany) also brought home a win for the Eagles in singles action. Hauptman and her Lebanon Valley freshman opponent, Amelia Capuano, battled two close sets and eventually played a super tie-breaker. Hauptman trailed by a couple of points early in the super tie-break, but turned it around by going on a scoring tear for the 10-5 win.
Sophomore Megan Phillips (Jefferson Hills, Pa./Thomas Jefferson) and Waring teamed up for the first time during a No. 2 doubles match against Dutchmen junior Lauren Fulmer and freshman Mary Kate Lemon. Although the Juniata couple eventually dropped the match, the Eagles fought their way to a tied score and even led late in the set but ultimately could not hold on for the victory.
Both Juniata men's and women's teams return to the courts tomorrow, Sept. 18, for a contest at Penn State Harrisburg.
Lebanon Valley 7, Juniata College 2
1. Christie Graf (LVC) def. Steph Seinhauer (JUN) 4-6, 6-1, 10-4
2. Lisa Hauptman (JUN) def. Amelia Capuano (LVC) 6-3, 5-7, 10-5
3. Lauren Fulmer (LVC) def. Cara Stough (JUN) 6-2, 6-2
4. Hearther Waring (JUN) def. Tam Lobb (LVC) 7-5, 6-1
5. Meghan Muccilli (LVC) def. Megan Phillips (JUN) 6-2, 6-2
6. Lori Noble (LVC) def. Hilary Walsh (JUN) 6-1, 6-3
1. Christie Graf/Amelia Capuano (LVC) def. Steph Steinhauer/Lisa Hauptman (JUN) 8-3
2. Lauren Fulmer/Mary Kate Lemon (LVC) def. Megan Phillips/Heather Waring (JUN) 9-8, 7-4
3. Tam Lobb/Meghan Muccilli (LVC) def. Cara Stough/Hilary Walsh (JUN) 8-2
Our readers respond...
Contact John Wall at firstname.lastname@example.org or (814) 641-3132 for more information.