Women's tennis defeats Frostburg State while the men drop match against Bobcats
(Posted September 26, 2011)
HUNTINGDON, Pa. -- Juniata College's men's and women's tennis teams split with Frostburg State University today on the Raffensperger Tennis Courts. The women took home their second straight shutout of the fall with a 9-0 triumph over the Bobcats, while the men dropped an 8-1 decision.
In the women's match, Stephanie Steinhauer (Spall, Germany/Alfred-Delp-Schule) and Lisa Hauptman (Lorsch, Germany/Alfred-Delp-Schule) coupled for their first doubles win to defeat their Frostburg State foes 8-2. Later in doubles, Cara Stough (Friendsville, Md./Northern Garrett) and Hilary Walsh (Waynesboro, Pa./Waynesboro Area) hung on to their victory when they outlasted the Bobcats 9-8 with a 10-8 tiebreaker.
Later in singles play, Megan Phillips (Jefferson Hills, Pa./Thomas Jefferson) had a commanding win against Bobcat Ashley Kuhns 6-0, 6-1. Heather Waring (San Antonio, Texas/John Jay) also had a good showing in No. 4 singles beating her challenger 6-0 and 6-2, extending her fall season winning streak to three.
In the men's match Elliott Perow had the Eagles lone win against Aaron Littlejohn in No. 2 singles. Perow won the first set 7-5, then dropped the second 4-6 to send the game into a 10-1 super tiebreaker.
Both the men's and women's teams will take on Lancaster Bible at home on Friday, Sept. 30 at 1:30 p.m.
Juniata 9, Frostburg State 0
1. Steph Steinhauer (JUN) def. Megan Martin (FSU), 7-6 (7-3), 6-1
2. Lisa Hauptman (JUN) def. Megan Crowl (FSU), 6-4, 6-2
3. Cara Stough (JUN) def. Amber Beckman (FSU), 6-4, 6-3
4. Heather Waring (JUN) def. Jannill Sites (FSU), 6-0, 6-2
5. Megan Phillips (JUN) def. Ashley Kuhns (FSU), 6-0, 6-1
6. Hillary Walsh (JUN) def. Zelie Collison (FSU), 6-2, 6-0
1. Steinhauer/Hauptmann (JUN) def. Martin/Crowl (FSU), 8-2
2. Phillips/Waring (JUN) def. Beckman/Sites (FSU), 8-4
2. Stough/Walsh (JUN) def. Kuhns/Mazimann (FSU), 9-8, (10-8)
Frostburg State 8, Juniata 1
1. Mike Stevenson (FSU) def. Daisuke Miyakoshi (JUN), 6-1, 6-2
2. Elliott Perow (JUN) def. Aaron Littlejohn (FSU), 7-5, 4-6, 10-1
3. Ramon Gutierriez (FSU) def. Matt Butler (JUN), 6-0, 6-2
4. Kenneth Alban (FSU) def. Sam Brumbaugh (JUN), 6-0, 6-0
5. Martin Dize (FSU) def. Kyle Salage (JUN), 6-0, 6-0
6. Brian Kelley (FSU) def. Clarence Yeung (JUN), 6-0, 6-1
1. Stevenson/Littlejohn (FSU) def. Miyakoshi/Perow (JUN), 8-5
2. Gutierriez/Alban (FSU) def. Butler/Brumbaugh (JUN), 8-3
3. Dize/Kelley (FSU) def. Salage/Yeung (JUN), 8-1
Our readers respond...
Contact John Wall at firstname.lastname@example.org or (814) 641-3132 for more information.