EARLY WARNING SIREN ALERT
SECURE IN PLACE PROCEDURE
When notified by the Juniata College Early Warning Siren Alert, “a secure in place” should be initiated immediately. The Early Warning Siren will be utilized to notify the campus community of an emergency situation. An emergency situation may include, but is not limited to, weather emergency, a hazardous material release, a person on or near campus with a weapon, the lockdown of nearby schools, or significant law enforcement action in the neighborhood adjacent to campus.
ACTIONS TO BE TAKEN UPON RECEIVING THE “EARLY WARNING SIREN ALERT” NOTIFICATION
The following actions are to be taken upon receiving the “Early Warning Siren Alert” Notification. During a secure in place, everyone must move into the closest classroom(s), office(s), and/or residence room(s) as quickly as possible and lock the door.
STEPS 1- GO TO YOUR OFFICE, CLASSROOM, LAB, OR RESIDENCE ROOM
- If there are other employees/students/visitors to the campus with you or in the vicinity, tell them to go to the closest office/ classroom/lab/residence room. Note: Any students who are in the library, dining hall, gym, washroom, or areas far from a classroom or residence room will have to remain at that location (see below).
- Please follow the direction and cooperate with any college employee-which you can positively identify as a college employee. He/she may ask for your assistance.
- Where appropriate and necessary, provide instruction and assistance to people with disabilities and visitors.
STEP 2- GATHER EMPLOYEES/STUDENTS
- Try to remain calm.
- Instruct everyone to get inside.
- Remain indoors
STEP 3- SECURE THE ROOM
- If not in a securable space, proceed to a room that can be locked.
- Close and lock the door, if at all possible.
- Move/use furniture to provide added protection
- Close blinds
- Turn off all lights
STEP 4- PREPARE STAFF/STUDENTS
- Move everyone out of sight of windows. Occupants should be seated below window level. Crouch down in areas that are out of sight from doors and windows or get against a wall/look for a safe corner.
- If possible, move behind furniture for protection.
- Keep everyone quiet
- Turn off all radios, televisions, or other devices that emit sound.
- Instruct everyone to silence their cell phones.
STEP 5- STAY IN YOUR ROOM
- Ensure everyone stays in the room until given directions to do otherwise.
- If you hear a knock on the door, do not open it unless the person knocking identifies themselves and you recognize them.
- If you hear the fire alarm, stay put unless you see fire, smell smoke, or are given directions to evacuate.
- Do not unlock or attempt to leave until instructed to do so by Juniata College Public Safety.
- Stay in safe areas until directed by law enforcement or a college administrator to move or evacuate. Again, never open doors during secure in place, even in event of a fire alarm.
- For further directives, law enforcement officers and administrators will have keys to open doors or they will make announcements.
FOR THOSE CAUGHT IN AN AREA AWAY FROM THEIR CLASSROOM, OFFICE, OR RESIDENCE ROOM. (Such as a hallway, stairwell, washroom, library, gym, athletic field, dining hall, or other areas far from a classroom or residence room.):
MOVE TO THE NEAREST SAFE PLACE- IF THERE ARE OTHERS WITH YOU TELL THEM TO MOVE TO A SAFE PLACE WITH YOU.
- Do not secure in place in open areas such as hallways or corridors. Go to nearest classroom or residence hall.
- If outdoors seek nearby shelter in a building. If unable to get inside a building, seek nearby shelter, e.g. large trees, walls, and/or any object that will provide cover and wait for additional instructions from Public Safety.
- If you are beside a classroom or office with an open door, move inside.
- If in the dining hall, remain there.
- Follow Steps 1-5.
END SECURE IN PLACE
A Juniata Administrator will signal personnel when the secure in place has been lifted. The order to end secure in place will be communicated by Juniata College Public Safety.
APPROVED BY: Cabinet, 2-9-09