- Lowcountry Time and Tide: The Collapse of The Rice Kingdom. Columbia, SC: University of South Carolina Press, 2010.
Articles and Book Chapters
- “Hilton Head Island” in American Tourism: Constructing a National Tradition, eds. Nicholas Bloom and J. Mark Souther. Chicago: Columbia College Chicago Press, 2012.
- “A Remarkable Case: A Surgeon’s Letter to the Huntingdon Globe” Pennsylvania Magazine of History and Biography, 135.4 (October 2011): pp. 558-560.
- “’Don’t Want to see no more… like that:’ Climate Change as a Factor in the Collapse of Lowcountry Rice Culture, 1893-1920,” in Historical Climate Variability and Impacts in North America, eds. Lesley-Ann Dupigny-Giroux and Cary Mock. London: Springer, 2009.
- “Liquid Assets: Madeira Wine and Cultural Capital among the Lowcountry Planters, 1735-1900,” American Nineteenth Century History 6.2 (June 2005): pp. 173-188.
- Regulating the Poor in Alabama: The Jefferson County Poor Farm, 1885-1945,” in Before the New Deal: Social Welfare in the South, 1830-1930, ed. Elna C. Green. Athens, GA: University of Georgia Press, 1999, 40-60.
- Editorial: “In Defense of Fantasy Football.” Providence Journal, Providence RI, September 4, 2005.
- Editorial: “Leadership Not Beauty Pageant.” Altoona Mirror, Altoona PA, July 18, 2004, A8.
- Editorial: “Strom Thurmond’s Long Racist Legacy.” Providence Journal, Providence R.I., July 16, 2003.
- Encyclopedia entries contributed to: Encyclopedia of African American History, 2006; Encyclopedia of South Carolina, 2006; Encyclopedia of Gilded Age and Progressive Era, 2005; Dictionary of American History, 2002; Dictionary of American National Biography, Oxford University Press, 1999.
- Founder and editor of H-SC, the Humanities Net list-serve for South Carolina.