Textbooks in Alternative Formats Procedure for Students:
Alternative formats refer to any instructional material designed to be accessible to individuals with disabilities. Alternative formats include, but are not limited to, large print, audio, braille, and electronic texts.
- Select “Alternative Formats” for each class in which you would like to receive alternative formats of required textbooks when customizing your accommodations via the AIM online portal at the beginning of each term.
- Complete the “Reading Materials” sections under “Alternative Formats” in AIM for each textbook required. (Instructions below.)
- Provide proof of purchase to the Testing and Accessibility Coordinator. You may bring in receipts to be photocopied, scan and email receipts, scan and upload receipts via AIM, or forward electronic receipts by email.
- The Testing and Accessibility Coordinator will search for each textbook requested in an alternative format. If no alternative format can be found, then the text will be cut apart and scanned to create a PDF document. Every effort will be made to secure an alternative format before chopping and scanning.
- Receive alternative format texts via the current web-based text-to-speech software in use or via a shared folder on OneDrive.
- Contact the Testing and Accessibility Coordinator with any questions or concerns.
Textbook Information Submission Instructions
1. Login to your AIM dashboard and click "Alternative Formats" on the left-hand menu.
2. If your book is listed and the details are correct, then click "Select." If your book is not listed or the details are incorrect, then enter textbook information in the "Reading Materials" section. Complete as much information as possible about each textbook you are requesting. It is especially important to enter the ISBN, a 10- or 13-digit identification number. SAS suggests referring to the Juniata online bookstore for textbook information. You may submit proof-of-purchase by uploading your receipts via AIM or emailing them to the Testing and Accessibility Coordinator.