Policies and Procedures for Study Abroad

Center for International Education

Eagles Abroad

Juniata College Center for International Education (CIE) Policies and Procedures for Study Abroad

Costs and Financial Aid

Each Juniata student may include study abroad at a Juniata-affiliated site as part of the academic plan for up to one year (two semesters). Students who wish to study abroad while enrolled at Juniata will pay Juniata tuition for the semester or year in which they are enrolled. Some programs also require the payment of Juniata room and board. In most cases, Juniata financial aid applies to help cover the cost of participating in a study abroad program. Students should consult the Office of Financial Aid to determine their financial aid applicability, and also whether additional loans can be obtained to apply for any additional costs such airline tickets, or significant inequity in monetary exchange. Special Study Abroad scholarships are also available. Tuition benefits that apply at Juniata to dependent students of employees of other institutions and PAR students cannot be utilized for study abroad. In all cases, students are responsible for the cost of procuring a passport, a visa, any immunizations required, airfare, and any miscellaneous expenses specific to the country site (for example, registration at police headquarters in the UK, or special health insurance in Germany). Students who wish to study abroad more than two semesters must complete and submit a Leave of Absence form to the Dean of Students Office and handle all finances on their own.


Students are not permitted to study abroad in their first year at Juniata. Students must be 18 years of age or older to participate in a Study Abroad Program, regardless of parental consent. Seniors who wish to study abroad spring semester must either defer their graduation until August and be considered walkers in the May ceremony, or submit a petition to the Student Academic Development Committee (with supporting letters from academic advisors) that demonstrates the plan of study abroad integration into their educational goals. To be eligible to apply to study abroad while at Juniata, students must meet the following requirements: • good academic standing, with a GPA of at least 2.7 or the minimum GPA as determined for the program, whichever is higher (some programs have a minimum 3.0 GPA) • clearance from Accounting Office* • clearance from Dean of Students Office • signed form stating that student has medical insurance valid overseas • signed “Statement of Understanding” and “Release Form” (links to “application and forms” page) • additional eligibility criteria may apply; program determines additional eligibility requirements. *Outstanding student accounts must be settled with the Accounting Office by the preceding Nov. 15 for spring study abroad, and by March 15 for fall. In order to maintain eligibility for study abroad, students must: • submit all application materials to the Center for International Education (CIE) by the deadlines • attend all pre-departure orientation sessions • maintain the minimum required GPA (2.7 or, for some programs, 3.0) through the final semester before study abroad

Application Process and Deadlines

Except for Juniata direct exchange programs, students must submit 2 complete applications, one to Juniata, and one to the host institution or provider. While the CIE will facilitate the second application, students are ultimately responsible for ensuring that all application materials and documents are submitted to the host institution or provider. In all cases, students must receive approval both from Juniata and from the host institution or provider. Students are not guaranteed their first program choice, especially in programs designated LE (Limited Enrollment). LE program assignments will be made by the Dean of the CIE in consultation with the Director of Education Abroad and, in some cases, with the International Education Committee. Preference will be given to POE applicability. For semester and year-long programs, students must submit, in the academic year preceding study abroad: • (by December 1) Online application Short-term and summer programs have separately-determined application deadlines.

Non-Affiliated/Non-Juniata Programs

Students who wish to study abroad on a non-affiliated program must complete and submit a Leave of Absence notification to the Dean of Students. The student is responsible for getting pre-approval for courses taken abroad in a non-affiliated program. The Study Abroad Leave of Absence Form provides for this process. • On their applications to non-Juniata programs, students must choose the "US School of Record" option for their transcripts. • Fifteen credits is the maximum number that can be transferred in from a Non-Juniata Program with only 8 allowed for the POE and only credits with a C- or above are accepted for transfer. • No institutional financial aid will apply during the Leave of Absence period. (The institutional aid may be reinstituted when the student re-enrolls at Juniata. • Senior year spring term is not recommended and must be petitioned to Student Academic Development (SAD). • Students are responsible for submitting the Non-Juniata Study Leave of Absence form to the CIE and the Registrar's office before departure, and for obtaining their transcripts from the program. The Study Abroad Leave of Absence form must be submitted to the Registrar's Office no later than NOVEMBER 1 for spring and APRIL 1 for fall.

Withdrawals and Extensions

If, for any reason, a student chooses to withdraw from a program, a statement in writing (an email from that student’s account is permissible) must be submitted to the international office. Verbal statements of withdrawal will not be considered as notification of withdrawal; therefore, the student will still be considered a program participant until written notification is received. Withdrawal is not considered final until the student receives written confirmation from the CIE. Students who are studying abroad for one semester who wish to extend to a full year must petition the Dean of the CIE, and include a letter of support from their academic advisors.


If a student withdraws from the exchange program prior to the completion of a year, refunds for tuition, room and board, etc. will be based on the Juniata calendar, rather than the calendar of the host institution. Any direct costs to Juniata will be deducted from the refund. Should circumstances force a fully-paid student to withdraw from a BCA program prior to departure from the United States, a full refund, except for the application fee, the confirmation fee, and any non-refundable housing costs incurred, will be made. Should a student withdraw from a BCA program after the program begins, the following refund schedule will apply: Week 1 80% Week 3 40% Week 2 60% Week 4 20% No refund after week 4

Any refunds made will be minus in-country costs that might include pre-paid housing, non-refundable registration costs at the university, orientation and administrative expenses. Should a full-year student decide to withdraw following the first semester and give a reasonable advance notice, the one-semester fee plus an administrative fee of $250 will be charged. Whenever a student wants to withdraw from a program for any reason, he/she is strongly urged to confer as soon as possible with the Center for International Education to discuss any financial ramifications of the decision. Summer Program fees include tuition, room and board. Transportation is billed separately. Additional personal expenses vary from student to student.

Petition of Exception

Study Abroad placement for fall and year programs beginning in fall 2011 and for spring programs beginning in spring 2012 is now closed.  Petitions of exception for study abroad placement for fall and year programs starting in fall 2011 and for spring programs beginning in spring 2012 will no longer be accepted for review by the International Education Committee.  Please contact studyabroad@juniata.eduwith questions.

Unless otherwise noted, exceptions to any of the policies linked below must be requested in writing and submitted to the Dean of the CIE, with supporting letters from student advisors. If you are applying after the deadline, would like to change your program from a semester to a yearlong program, or have a GPA that is lower than required, you will need to fill out the Petition of Exception.Petitions of exception will not be considered after February 1 for fall/year programs and after September 15 for spring programs.

Academic Credit, Transcripts and Internships

Students will develop a course schedule in consultation with their academic advisors. Students may apply courses taken abroad to fulfill FISHN requirements. Course conversion for credits already evaluated can be viewed on the International Database. For new courses, please keep all course information to be evaluated by the CIE upon your return; the Dean will work with the department chairs to create a transmittal form. Students who wish to apply courses abroad to their POE must receive departmental permission before they leave campus. A student may only register for an independent study while abroad if a faculty member at the host institution agrees to oversee the project, or if the student registers for the course and completes the project during the semester following study abroad. After the student has completed the program, an official transcript is sent by mail to the CIE from programs abroad. The transcript is processed as soon as possible upon receipt in the CIE. The Dean of International Programs prepares a transmittal form, noting the course designations, and translating the grades according to the particular conversion in each program. The transmittal form and original transcript is sent to the Registrar for processing. A copy of the initial transmittal form is also sent by email to the student to determine any mistake or immediate conflict. Because institutional calendars vary so widely, the student is made aware that the transcript may not be received until well into the summer in some cases. Temporary credit notations can be made in some cases to accommodate special graduate school application issues. Internships abroad that are not associated with a specific class and which are to be notated as a credit internship at Juniata are permitted only through enrollment in the EPA Internships in Europe program. Students are required to work through Juniata Career Services office for credit internships and non-credit, transcript notation internships. Complete information can be found here: http://www.juniata.edu/services/career/students/internship.html. Discuss your plans with your academic advisors. Identify a faculty sponsor for your internship. This is usually your academic advisor, the internship coordinator for your POE department, or a faculty member with expertise in the area of your internship. Read more about the process for approval and registration for Credit Internships through EPA Internship

Insurance Requirements

Insurance is required.

Search for policies:  

Click here to login as either a Faculty Member or Trustee in order to view additional policies.