Unmanned Aircraft Systems Policy
This policy applies to:
· Juniata College employees and students operating unmanned aircraft systems in any location as part of their College employment or as part of College activities, including research;
· The operation by any person of an unmanned aircraft system on or above Juniata College property;
· The purchase and building of unmanned aircraft systems with funding through Juniata College, including College accounts or grants.
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and relevant state law regulate the operation of unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) including drones. Juniata College will establish procedures required to ensure compliance with those legal obligations and to reduce risks to safety, security, and privacy.
The use of any personally-owned unmanned aircraft systems on Juniata College property is prohibited.
Reason for Policy
Juniata College must comply with FAA requirements, state law, and any other locally applicable laws or regulations regarding unmanned aircraft systems. Inherent risks in the operation of such equipment require additional insurance provisions and policy considerations.
1. All members of the Juniata College community are personally responsible for complying with FAA regulations, state and federal laws, and College policies. Any College employee or student building or using a UAS will be required to certify (by signature) that the College policy and FAA regulations have been read.
2. Any College employee, student, or unit purchasing a UAS (or the parts to assemble a UAS) with College funds or funds being disbursed through a College account, or grant funds, must have prior approval from the appropriate Vice President and the Assistant Director of Human Resources and Risk Management. College insurance requirements must be reviewed prior to each purchase.
3. In operating a UAS for purposes of recording or transmitting visual images, operators must take all reasonable measures to avoid violations of areas normally considered private.
a. UAS shall not be used to monitor or record areas where there is a reasonable expectation of privacy in accordance with accepted social norms. These areas include but are not limited to restrooms, locker rooms, individual residential rooms, changing or dressing rooms, and health treatment rooms.
b. UAS shall not be used to monitor or record residential hallways, residential lounges, or the insides of campus daycare facilities.
c. UAS shall not be used to monitor or record sensitive institutional or personal information, which may be found, for example, on an individual's workspaces, on computer or other electronic displays.
4. In operating a UAS for purposes of recording or transmitting visual images, operators must notify the College’s Office of Public Safety. The Office of Public Safety will ensure the community is aware of the aircraft’s presence.
5. Use of UAS must comply with any other applicable College policies.
Juniata College Property– Buildings, grounds, and land that are owned by Juniata College or controlled by Juniata College via leases or other formal contractual agreements to house ongoing Juniata College operations.
Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS)- UAS are also known as or may be characterized as Drones. According to the FAA, a UAS is the unmanned aircraft and all of the associated support equipment, control station, data links, telemetry, communications and navigation equipment, etc., necessary to operate the unmanned aircraft. UAS may have a variety of names including quadcopter, quadrotor, etc. FAA regulation applies to UAS regardless of size or weight.
Any violations of College policies by an individual will be dealt with in accordance with applicable College policies and procedures, up to and including termination of employment or expulsion.
Legal prohibitions regarding physical presence on campus/trespassing and other legal action may also be pursued against third parties that operate UAS in violation of this policy.
Fines or damages incurred by individuals or units that do not comply with this policy will not be paid by Juniata College and will be the responsibility of those persons involved.
Please contact the Director of New Media Communication for more information regarding this policy. For questions regarding insurance and risk management, please contact the Assistant Director of Human Resources and Risk Management.
Click here to login as either a Faculty Member or Trustee in order to view additional policies.