Men's tennis ends season with 6-3 win over Merchant Marine
(Posted May 1, 2010)
KINGS POINT, N.Y. -- The Juniata College men's tennis team closed out its 2009-10 season with a 6-3 win over Landmark Conference foe United States Merchant Marine Academy, Saturday afternoon in Kings Point, N.Y.
The Eagles (7-12, 2-5 Landmark) captured two of the three doubles matches, led by Jarrad Silver (Bethesda, Md./Walt Whitman) and Arnab Chakrabarti (Alpharetta, Ga./Alpharetta) with an 8-3 win at no. 1 doubles over the Merchant Marine tandem of William Coulter and Jeff Gulitus.
Silver, the lone senior on the Juniata squad, completed a sweep in his final collegiate match with a 6-4, 4-6, 6-3 triump at no. 1 singles over Gulitus.
"It was nice to end the season on a positive note with the win," said Juniata head coach Beth Bleil, "and it was great to be able to see Jarrad end his college career with a pair of victories.
Brice Morey (Enola, Pa./East Pennsboro) and Tucker Good (Gettysburg, Pa./Gettysburg) teamed up for a win at no. 2 doubles over Merchant Marine's Biondi Phua and Patricia Greene, 8-6, and also went on to post singles wins as well.
Juniata 6, United States Merchant Marine Academy 3
1. Jarrad Silver (JUN) def. Jeff Gulitus (USMMA) 6-4, 4-6, 6-3
2. Biondi Phua (USMMA) def. Arnab Chakrabarti (JUN) 6-4, 6-4
3. Brice Morey (JUN) def. Patricia Greene (USMMA) 6-0, 6-2
4. Tucker Good (JUN) def. Blair Voltz (USMMA) 6-4, 2-6, 6-1
5. Scott Andrews (JUN) def. Kyle Kempinski (USMMA) 6-1, 6-1
6. Tim Buxton (USMMA) def. Ross Imbrie (JUN), by default
1. Arnab Chakrabarti/Jarrad Silver (JUN) def. William Coulter/Jeff Gulitus (USMMA) 8-3
2. Brice Morey/Tucker Good (JUN) def. Biondi Phua/Patricia Greene (USMMA) 8-6
3. Tim Buxton/Blair Voltz (USMMA) def. Ross Imbrie/Scott Andrews (JUN), by default
Juniata College 7-12, 2-5 Landmark
Merchant Marine 4-9, 0-7 Landmark
Our readers respond...
Contact Gabe Welsch at firstname.lastname@example.org or (814) 641-3131 for more information.