Men's tennis sees post-season drive end with loss to Catholic; women's tennis upended by Cardinals to close out season
(Posted April 17, 2011)
HUNTINGDON, Pa. -- Juniata College men's tennis saw its post-season hopes brought to a close Sunday with a 7-2 loss to Catholic University of America, in a Landmark Conference match at the Raffensperger Tennis Courts. The Juniata women's tennis team closed out its 2010-11 campaign against Catholic, dropping a 9-0 decision to the Cardinals to finish the season 6-12 overall.
Both teams had to fight through less-than-ideal playing conditions, with a temperature hovering just above 50 degrees most of the afternoon and wind gusts that at times reached 30 miles per hour.
For men's team, the loss dropped the Eagles to 7-9 overall, 2-4 Landmark, and took Juniata out of the hunt for the fourth and final spot in the upcoming Landmark Conference tournament.
Brice Morey (Enola, Pa./East Pennsboro) had a double win for Juniata, opening the afternoon by teaming with Elliott Perow (Huntingdon, Pa./Huntingdon Area) for an 8-4 win over the Catholic duo of Cassian Utrie and Joe Peters at no. 2 doubles.
Morey then went on to notch a 1-6, 6-4, 6-4 triumph at no. 3 singles over the Cardinals' Peters.
On the Eagles' "senior day", Juniata senior Arnab Chakrabarti (Alpharetta, Ga./Alpharetta) was unable to pick up a win, falling 6-0, 6-2 to CUA's Jean Paul Roman at no. 4 singles, and dropping an 8-1 decision at no. 1 doubles with partner Justin Wisniewski (Moorestown, N.J./Moorestown).
In the women's match, Laura Gregory (Morrisonville, N.Y./Seton Catholic Central) and Lauren Perow (Huntingdon, Pa./Huntingdon Area) were both recognized during "senior day" ceremonies, but neither could close out their careers with a win.
Perow dropped a 6-1, 6-1 decision at no. 3 singles to Catholic's Elaina Sceusa, and paired up with Hilary Walsh (Waynesboro, Pa./Waynesboro Area) in an 8-3 defeat at no. 2 doubles. Gregory fell to the Cardinals' Rita Holden, 6-1, 6-1 at no. 4 singles, and teamed up with Rachel Adams (McLean, Va./Jakarta Int'l School) in an 8-1 loss at no. 3 doubles.
The Juniata men's tennis team wraps up its 2010-11 season next Saturday, April 23, when it hosts the United States Merchant Marine Academy at noon on the Raffensperger Tennis Courts.
Catholic University 9, Juniata College 0
1. Marjorie Selinger (CUA) def. Megan Phillips (JUN) 6-3, 6-0
2. Andie Ingram (CUA) def. Stacie Beegle (JUN) 6-0, 6-3
3. Elaina Sceusa (CUA) def. Lauren Perow (JUN) 6-1, 6-1
4. Ritamarie Holden (CUA) def. Laura Gregory (JUN) 6-1, 6-1
5. Amanda Pellegrino (CUA) def. Rachel Adams (JUN) 6-3, 6-0
6. Rosemary Lee Montani (CUA) def. Hilary Walsh (JUN) 7-6 (12-10), 6-2
1. Marjorie Selinger/Elaina Sceusa (CUA) def. Megan Phillips/Stacie Beegle (JUN) 8-4
2. Andie Ingram/Isabel Tanco (CUA) def. Lauren Perow/Hilary Walsh (JUN) 8-3
3. Caitlin Porter/Elizabeth Harvey (CUA) def. Laura Gregory/Rachel Adams (JUN) 8-1
Catholic University 7, Juniata College 2
1. Bernardo Nogales (CUA) def. Justin Wisniewski (JUN) 6-0, 6-1
2. Cassian Utrie (CUA) def. Elliott Perow (JUN) 6-0, 6-2
3. Brice Morey (JUN) def. Joe Peters (CUA) 1-6, 6-4, 6-4
4. Jean Paul Roman (CUA) def. Arnab Chakrabarti (JUN) 6-0, 6-2
5. Kyle Kramer (CUA) def. Scott Andrews (JUN) 6-2, 7-5
6. Joe Gribbin (CUA) def. Matt Butler (JUN) 6-3, 6-2
1. Bernardo Nogales/Jean Paul Roman (CUA) def. Justin Wisniewski/Arnab Chakrabarti (JUN) 8-1
2. Brice Morey/Elliott Perow (JUN) def. Cassian Utrie/Joe Peters (CUA) 8-4
3. Kyle Kramer/Jason Quisberth (CUA) def. Scott Andrews/Matt Butler (JUN) 8-5
Our readers respond...
Contact John Wall at firstname.lastname@example.org or (814) 641-3132 for more information.